PDA

View Full Version : Changing cutter while cutting a Vcarve created file.

john_l
02-06-2007, 04:56 PM
Hello,

If I design a V carved sign and then specify to use a straight cutter to cut out the overall sign shape after V carving... Do I make sure that the straight cutter is below the V bit in the cutter list? And also.. while running the shopbot file, will the SB3 control software automatically pause or return home and then tell me to change the cutter?

Thanks!

Brady Watson
02-06-2007, 06:04 PM
John,
Unless you have a toolchanger (and appropriate toolchanger post processor) PW will not let you save a v-bit & straight together in one file. Only identical bits (by name) can be saved together in one SBP. Save each toolpath as a separate file. When the 1st toolpath has completed, the tool will move back to the 0,0 position. That will be your 'notice' to change tools. No msgbox pops up. Change your tool, run C2 to zero the Z and run your 2nd file.

-B

john_l
02-07-2007, 07:19 AM
I am not sure i understand why you can choose different tools for different paths in VcarvePro then. When I save the toolpath file from VcarvePro (to the shopbot format) it doesnt save all the toolpaths?

Brian Moran
02-07-2007, 08:10 AM
John,

For the ShopBot, if you don't have an automatic toolchanger you need to save each toolpath separately to a different file. You then send each file to the machine independently after you have loaded the appropriate tool.

fleinbach
02-07-2007, 08:12 AM
John,

I have tried in V carve rpo and I cannot save two differant toolpaths if I use two differant bits. It can only be done if you are using the same bit. I recieve this Error: The visable toolpath use diffrant tools and the selected Postprocessor does not support tool changing.

If you want to change bits you need to save each toolpath indevidualy as seperate files.

john_l
02-07-2007, 07:40 PM
I think it's made it through now. Sorry, I am a little thick sometimes. It does seem like it would be an easy software change for it to simply have a command in the file to (for example) just stop the V carving while you change the bit, confirm the change complete with a keystroke at the controller computer, and then resume. No big deal the way it is though.

At the very end of the help section titled "Create VCarve Toolpath", I did come across the statement... "2 toolpaths will be calculated if an Area Clearance Tool is used and the toolpath for the End Mill will have the word Pocket appended to its name". Would this mean that the program will automatically create 2 seperate toolpath files when I save for the shopbot?

john_l
02-07-2007, 08:01 PM
You know what, I just did it... and it worked just that way, I was able to save both toolpaths. Thanks!

Brady Watson
02-07-2007, 08:23 PM
John,
Don't feel bad...many new users get a little confused when they have to save 2 different toolpaths with different bits...I remember being confused about this too when I first started.

-B

mick40
07-07-2009, 08:03 PM
John, I just added the word "Pocket" to the 2nd cut and it let me save both toolpaths. My question is...Will it return to home to have a tool change? Also, can you just use pocket each time you want to do a tool change? First I have heard of this.

Thanks,
Mick

jerry_stanek
07-07-2009, 09:14 PM
I just ran a set of letters that had a pocket and a through cut and I think that it was continuous. I did not have a tool change though.

mick40
07-11-2009, 08:28 PM
I tired it and the machine never stopped to change bits. So, how do I tell it to do that?

Mick

Gary Campbell
07-11-2009, 08:55 PM
Mick...
IF you need to change bits... then there are 2 different bits. Each should be in its own separate file. You can then combine these files and add the code to move to a location and rezero. But why? it takes the same time either way and there is no real need to change bits and rezero during an active parts file.

You can also save the file using the toolchager post processor and write the manual bit change into the routine. ShopBot has this started for you if you look in the C:\SbParts\Manual tool changer folder. Be advised that you need a working knowledge of SB code as there are safety issues.
Gary