PDA

View Full Version : OK... so I have thousands invested...

harryball
11-10-2006, 07:01 PM
I'm sitting here with all this stuff and I've come to the conclusion that my imagination is the weakest link. :-)

So I have this...

The instructor wants to make little plaques on a base for Christmas. I can't imagine what to do with it.

PhotoVcarve doesn't do it justice unless it estimates 8 or 9 hours cutting time for a 3" wide image using a .04" ball nose bit. Besides, I think that's too complicated anyway.

I can create the plaque and stand, no problem... any ideas on what I could do with this image? I'm trying to think of something simple with a 10 or 15 minute job time at the most. I just don't have enough imagination I guess.

Robert

harryball
11-10-2006, 07:25 PM
I took it into inkscape, created a .eps out of it, imported it into VCPro, did a little editing on the vectors and got this so far...

The pine is from splitting boards, so that stays, the shape is simple ... just looks plain... like something is missing... but what?

Any ideas on how to spruce it up? oh wait, that's pine not spruce :-)

Robert

bleeth
11-10-2006, 09:37 PM
Robert:
The plaque looks great-I think it's the base system that needs work. How about putting a couple of through mortises into the plaque and inserting a pair of boomerang shaped legs so the plaque floated off the table?

terryd
11-11-2006, 01:55 PM
Robert,
I think what is happening is you have a conflict of shapes. The yin/yan symbol in the logo represents balance in all things. You will notice that there are no straight lines or corners in it. The quasi oriental lettering is full of sharp corners and is very abrupt and not fluid. I would wrap the text around the yin/yan symbol then encompass the whole thing in a very fluid freeform shape. Take Daves suggestion about the legs instead of the base. The best way to describe what I would do is to add the legs as per Dave and the plaque that you have. Pretend it was carved of wax. Now lets melt it until you have puddles where the feet touch the ground then freeze it.... Catch my thought.... By the way "four" is unlucky in Chinese
phonectically it means death. Three or five legs?

Terry

harryball
11-11-2006, 06:03 PM
Thanks guys, that gives me some thing to think about. I'll have to see if he wants to change his logo so far as moving and curving text goes, but the leg changes give me something to think about.

Robert

mdebruce
11-14-2006, 09:55 AM
Wow, I still get amazed by the great advice given here!!!

myxpykalix
11-16-2006, 10:24 PM
Why not take the "Akj karate" wrap it up on top, take the "in god we trust" wrap it around the bottom and let the 2 "hangdowns" from the belt act as the 2 front feet of a "tripod" and just attach a third in back (like a picture frame)