PDA

View Full Version : DOS Software

bob_reda
07-15-2006, 08:09 AM
I just purchased a used prt48. The software and everything he was using was in DOS. I understand that new control software is in windows and I was wondering if I run the conversion from shopbot will all the files become windows based? Or would I have to do that seperately.

Thanks
Bob

paco
07-15-2006, 09:17 AM
It should all flow together nicely... maybe some very minor adjustments...

Both program read the same file format and may just require some minimal editing... just maybe... SBP file is barely text file with the SBP extension. You can open 'em in NotePad.

Still, take a moment to get familiar with the SBP file format and the SB3 control program so you don't drown yourself when you'll need it to be working as intended.

Let us know if you need help.

mikejohn
07-15-2006, 10:15 AM
Bob
I have the latest model PRT96 and still use DOS.
It works fine for me.

.............Mike

dhunt
07-18-2006, 06:58 PM
Okay, here's another slant..
I've heard someone mention reverting to older version 2.39 Shopbot software
to achieve efficiency that the Win.XP/version 3 couldn't achieve,
for this or that reason.

I too have had thoughts along this line but..
having installed version 3.4 firmware into Shopbot's Controller box, just last week,
can I now hook up (a difrnt computer loaded with) Win.98 and older Shopbot v.2.39 software
and have it install its own,older firmware into our new SB Controller box (overwriting files?) - or will the same firmware do?
'Firmware is firmware'? - or is it fussy,version-wise?

Would reverting from 3.4 (going back to 2.39) work?
or would I have to Un-install the v.3.4 firmware,somehow,
before proceeding with my dastardly plan?

What's the story with interchangeable firmware for SB Controller boxes?

srwtlc
07-18-2006, 08:19 PM
SB3 uses a different control box firmware than Dos. You'll need to switch the firmware back and forth each time you try one or the other version/computer.

I don't quite understand the efficiency thing. Sure the Dos version was fast to use with it's 2 key commands, but SB3 can be just as fast (besides running the machine smoother and faster) unless you don't know how to efficently use Windows itself.

You can use both versions on a Win98 box, but you'll have to load the different firmware each time you switch.

bryan_webb
07-28-2006, 10:00 PM
I downloaded sb3.4.25,,it worked good ,,Iam trying to put it on a cd & download it on the computer that the shop bot is hooked to..It is not going,,any one had this problem ???