PDA

View Full Version : Rhino3D / RhinoCAM

tree
05-20-2008, 12:09 PM
After all the trougle I had with Bobcad. I took some time off from the search for a good solid modeling program, but I have been looking at a Rhino bundle from Mecsoft recently. I would just like some feedback from any of you guys who are working with this software. So far If seems to be pretty forward and user friendly. I have also been impressed by their tech support from both Mecsoft and Mcneel. Give me the whole spill..... hows tech support, updates, training, anything you guys have come across.

Thanks
Brian

wayne_webb
05-20-2008, 03:45 PM
I'm interested in this as well.

Mike Windsor
05-20-2008, 10:45 PM
I've been using Rhino and visualmill for several years . Both are very powerfull and ( to me ) very intuitive to use . I have the full version of visualmill because I've updated since v4 when the full version was more afordable . If I was looking to buy it again today I'd probably buy the basic version , because I rarely use the high end machining strategies like pencil tracing in the full version .---Both programs have free demos ,and I have found the suport from both companies to be excellent .

btk
05-21-2008, 12:11 PM
I have posted before about RhinoCam.
You can search or look at these links.

http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/20164/14199.html?1154302797
http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/20164/7037.html?1128644934

Brian

voll
05-21-2008, 07:56 PM
I don't know about the CAM plugins etc for rhino, because i haven't gotten that far. Though, after having just way too much trouble modelling with Vectorworks, I took a series of classes in Rhino and am really happy with the software.

I understand it was developed to design battleships, so I figure it can handle whatever we would throw at it.

The documentation and tutorials are very thorough. and as a student I paid under $600 for the whole suite for the full versions that are upgradable; that paid for the classes.

hespj
05-23-2008, 04:34 PM
I've got Rhino & RhinoCam. I spend most of my working time doing 3D CAD modelling and Rhino is superb for this. I've not enough exoerience with other toolpath programs to compare RhinoCam, but I can say that it works for me very well. The fact that it's a plug-in within a CAD program makes it a winner. Also the fact that it supports a 4th axis.

Negatives? a)...It uses a dongle which is a bit of a pain when using a laptop. b)...I've never been able to log onto the Mecsoft forum.

John

procarve
09-05-2008, 09:17 AM
I've taught Rhino, Solidworks, Mastercam and Artcam. You just can't get a more user friendly and good all around modeling program than Rhino.

It also does a lot of import and export of different file types so you rarely get stuck there which is a problem with some software.

Rhino is fantastic for all around 3D design.

Bill
www.RocketfuelSigns.com (http://www.RocketfuelSigns.com)
formerly procarve cnc

jon
08-14-2009, 07:50 PM
I agree with William, I have used a lot of different set ups, and find I prefer Rhino/ and RhinoCAM. The fact that it(CAM) docks right into the modelling program gives great machining control, region machining, etc.
I've done a bunch of film prop work, even made a golf ball on my 3 axis with it. I can produce 5 axis parts on my 3 axis machine using strategy. It's a great product.

I run; XP, PRT alpha, Rhino 3.0 sr5, RhinoCAM pro still does all I need.

I think...

shoeshine
08-15-2009, 12:33 AM
I am using an ancient version of Rhino (v1.2) to do almost all my designs. even a lot of flat vector work as I find the tools to be more straightforward for CNC work than say illustrator or corel and leaps and bounds above the native editing tools in partworks. My only issue with it is text but I asssume that has probably improved since 1997.

I still do export a DXF or DWG to partworks for my toolpathing... as, well... it came with the bot and I have yet to find anything I have not been able to do with that combo.

I will also second the file format import point. I find very few files that it cant translate.

Chris