PDA

View Full Version : Which bit and when...

harve
12-02-2007, 11:04 PM
Can someone please tell me when best to use say a 45 degree V bit over a 90 degree V bit?

I want to carve small(er) sized letters into a wooden plaque. ( between .500 and .750). What type of bit should I use?

jsfrost
12-03-2007, 09:26 AM
Mike,

I don't think there is a single right answer to your question. The ideal transition text size for a bit anngle is pretty grey. You have the basic concept; smaller letters, sharper angle. From there it is mostly test cuts, font choice, and personal taste.

In general, I use a 90 degree from about 2 inch down to 1/2 inch. I will sometimes stick with the V90 on smaller letters where this will avoid an additional bit change on the project. When I do this I choose a bolder and less ornate font for the smallest text. I have had sucess with 1/4 letters using a sharp pointed V60 engraving bit, and produced muddy samples with a soft pointed V60. For still smaller text I use stick fonts, fixed depth, and usually a V30 engraving bit.

donchapman
12-03-2007, 09:26 AM
I usually use a 60 degree v-bit for letters as small as the half to three quarter inch sizes you're considering. On medium size letters I'll step up to a 90 degree v-bit, and on large letters I often use a 120 degree v-bit.

A lot has to do with the width of strokes of the particular font, the particular substrate I'm v-carving, and how I'm finishing the letters.

If the letters are small and the finish is natural, oiled, or varnished, I'll use a 60 degree bit so the letters will have deep shadows to contrast with the background.

With painted letters I use a light colored paint in the letters and enjoy seeing contrast within the letters caused by shadows.

With gilded letters I'll often use the 120 degree v'bit to achieve maximum reflection of the gilding.

The best teacher is experience and deciding for yourself what you like, but you can get a good idea about the effect of different v-bits by trying them in VCarve Pro's virtual routing screen, and can even save the image as a jpg and email it to a customer for approval.

harve
12-03-2007, 12:51 PM
It sounds like personal preference is half of the battle. With a little trial and error I think I can come up with a suitable solution.

Thanks for the advice.