PDA

View Full Version : Looking For CAD Software

norms82@msn.com
08-22-2002, 08:39 PM
These forums are great! I'm want to purchase new drawing software for 2D CNC routing. I have used for many years AutoCad's Version 12. I know its' an old one but has worked well up to now. There probably have been many discussions about this software and that software and each one has its' merits. I would like to have raster/vector capability and a relatively short learning curve. Are there any software sites where a demo can be downloaded to get the feel for what's being offered. All input is appreciated.
Dave

rgbrown@itexas.net
08-23-2002, 07:09 AM
"I would like to have raster/vector capability and a relatively short learning curve."

Dave,

When you find that software would you let us know?

The best 2D CAD program I have ever run was "GenericCADD". This program is now owned by the same group that has TurboCAD and is now called "VisualCADD". BTW TurboCAD has a 'free' 2D version.

IMO any CAD program that has a lot of commands it takes a long time to figure out just where they all are. Unlearning the second nature one develops with the program they have used for years is a frustrating part of the learning curve.

RHINO has a very good 3D program with a 'trial period' just long enough to get one frustrated, though it is a great program once it is at least partially learned. Many on the forum use the 3d version of TurboCAD which can be found at very reasonable prices on Ebay.

Good luck,
Ron Brown - rgbrown@itexas.net (mailto:rgbrown@itexas.net)

"In general the art of government consists in taking as much money as possible from one class of citizens to give to the other."
--Voltaire

shuttle
08-23-2002, 11:44 PM
I have used trueSpace, it is an excellent modeling program, will render and animate also.
It is very useful for nesting, modifying, breaking down, or simplifying models.
I spotted this also, which appears to be tying it into the CAD world.
http://www.cadinfo.net/reviews/trueSpace.htm

http://www.caligari.com

There is a demo to try, or you can get tS4 now for 79.00. (it cost me $500)

grant@shopbottools.com
08-28-2002, 03:10 PM
The best program seems to be highly dependent on your intent for it. I generally recommend Rhino for it's blend of ease of use and extensive capability, but it's only so good for someone that really just wants to make MDF doors at lightning speed. Rhino will let you bring in images and draw over the top of them - sometimes this is better than true raster - vector. If you are looking for an automatic raster to vector translation, Algolab Photo Vector is a great buy in a stand alone package, and is available at www.algolab.com. For the two in one piece of software, Corel seems to be a perennial favorite, although I have not done much with it personally.