PDA

View Full Version : No Closed Vectors error

les_linton
05-28-2005, 01:55 AM
I am working on a logo inlay for a floor. The logo was produced in Illustrator, saved and given to me as a dxf. I used AutoCad LT to clean it up, getting rid of all the extra lines and closing up open lines.

I saved it as a dxf and imported it into PW2. It is basically Text that was drawn in Illustrator and a hand plane outline.

To make my part file, I wanted to do a final clean up pass so I was offsetting the lines and noticed that on four of the letters, parts of them offset in different directions. I went back and worked thru them until I had them all offset the way I wanted them and grouped the line segments.

I can now click anywhere on the letter and move them as complete objects.

The Problem:

When I try to do an Area Clear tool path, the four I had to work on give me an error “Group To Area Clear Contained No Closed Vectors”.

I have Zoomed in on each to try to fine an opening, but I can’t see any. If I move them out of sequence nothing appears to be left behind.

Open to any suggestions.

Thanks,

Les

Brady Watson
05-28-2005, 02:55 AM
Les,
Create 2 PW files: 1 with the open lines to machine along vector, and another (just copy/paste originals to keep locations right) that has closed geometry. You cannot do an area clear on vectors that are not joined and closed. Grouping of individual lines does nothing to help this...they must be joined and closed to machine.

-Brady

paco
05-28-2005, 10:53 AM
Hi Les!

Grouping is different than closing vector(s). The very first symptom that something "wrong" was going on was that when you offset your vector(s), it as do so in two different directions.
Now for '2D area clear' strategie, you need closed vector(s) ; not neccesarily grouped. By the way, you can easily move 'em all togheter if you select them all... or group 'em when your work is final with 'em.

Now to find out which is open and which is closed, you need to select them one by one. A "look-like" closed vector will have a black node while a closed vector will have a green node (start point) both while they are individualy selected. With the open vector, you'll have the option "Closed vector with..." available (in the 'Group Merge Join Vectors' tool box) while it won't be with an already closed vector.
If your vectors are all one above each other, you'll have to move 'em a little to be able to individualy select 'em since PW can't handle layers. When you're done, you can re-align 'em...

You can do this in two different files if you wish so but I believe you can work it out in a single file... I think Brady (and correct me if I'm wrong) suggest to use two file to work on your vector(s) to have a layer-like view of all things...

les_linton
05-28-2005, 11:54 AM
Brady and Paco,

Thanks for the help.

I seem to have that issue taken care of.

Putting a new spoil board on this afternoon and will check it out later.

Les