PDA

View Full Version : How do I setup cut files for inlays in Vector?

threadfx
05-28-2001, 10:41 PM
I'm working on a sign project that has what I'll call an inlay for all practical purposes. I've been playing with Vector trying to get the files right, but can't seem to figure it out.

I'm cutting PVC with a 1/8" bit. How do I get the corresponding inside and outside corners to mesh given the radius of the bit and the nature of cutting inside and outside corners?

Aaron

bwclark@centurytel.net
05-28-2001, 11:21 PM
Aaron,

I would use a corner chisel. Whiteside makes an "automatic" corner chisel that you put in the corner and hit with a hammer.

That is the your best bet.

Bruce Clark
bwclark@centurytel.net (mailto:bwclark@centurytel.net)

jkforney
05-29-2001, 09:14 AM
Aaron
Bruce is correct if you need square corners, however if you can live with small radius corners why don't you program you inside cuts to have a 1/16 radius (1/8 bit = 1/16 radius). By inside cuts I mean the item that is to be inlayed. If you need further info email me the file and I'll try to help. For square corners, you have to do what I have been doing for 30 years (pre shopbot) and use a sharp chisel and time.

John Forney

Support (Admin)
06-03-2001, 10:32 PM
Let's limit this discussion to methods to set up cutting files for inlays in Vector that are currently available. Discussions of future methods have been moved to a new subtopic Future Vector Developments

imserv@imsrv.com
09-07-2001, 09:06 PM
Apparently the method to create inlays with Vector has been deleted from this thread. Following are the formulae to create a cutting path in Vector that will generate either a piece to be inserted, or the pocket into which the inlay piece is placed:

1) To create the part to place inside:

a) Offset the contour to the inside by one tool radius.

b) Offset the new line, which is still selected to the outside by the cutter diameter.

2) To create the pocket outline into which the piece is to be inserted:

a) offset the same original contour as that used for the insert, but first to the outside by the cutter radius.

b) offset the new line which is still selected to the inside by the cutter diameter.

This double offsetting has the same effect as putting a fillet or radius on the corner of a square(the size of the cutter) so that it would fit into a cutout square hole. The difference is that if the shape is not perfectly square, or if it is defined by a series of short lines like you find in letters, the offset curves will just smooth the sharp-like inside and outside corners so that they will fit with no interference.