PDA

View Full Version : Part Works inches or millimetres?

jporter
09-19-2008, 11:46 AM
I don't know exactly how to describe this, but every time here lately I will design a part in Partworks and save it to the "sbp arcs inches" file like I think I am supposed to do. By the way, I have designed it in "inches". However, when I load the file in the machine to cut, It runs perfectly and does exactly what I want, but it leaves me a message saying something to the effect that I am running a metric file and I need to convert to metric or inches. All I have to do is hit "enter" and the message goes away and the machine finishes its' run. As far as I can tell, every thing is designed and saved in "inches". This is not a big problem, but I would like to be correct. I have a new BT 32 standard. Any help would be appreciated, and as always, speak to me as you would a 4 yr old. I will not be offended. thanks, joe

cncworld
09-19-2008, 12:49 PM
Hi Joe.... I am so glad you brought up this problem, maining because I have the same one! Just to let you know your not the only one... hopefully we will get a solution to the problem. I have a PRS-ALPHA9648, running the latest version of controller software, and using Partworks design cad/cam software.

Russ

jporter
09-19-2008, 04:02 PM
Thanks, Russell. I have checked everything and can't figure it out. I am sure someone here will help us. Thanks for the reply. joe

porscheman
09-19-2008, 05:31 PM
David Buchsbaum clued me in that this is actually a minor bug in the postprocessor file that Vectric uses to create the .sbp files that you run on your machine. The good news is that it has nothing to do with your machine being in metric mode versus inches - there's just a missing END statement in the postprocessor that causess the "Metric Inches" error message to be displayed at the end of every program.

If you go to David's "Notes from the Sandbox" column on the ShopBot home page, you can read his section on modifying the postprocessor files to eliminate this problem. Or you could probably call ShopBot and have them email (or post on this forum) the updated postprocessor files with the END statements in place.

In the meantime, just remember that it's a spurious error message, not a real problem - UNLESS you happen to be generating code in Inches when your machine is running in metric.

Hope this explanation helps - kudos to David for helping me learn to edit the postprocessors to suit my purposes, and to solve problems like this one

John

porscheman
09-19-2008, 05:38 PM
For the sake of completeness, and to show an example of a modified postprocessor file that works, here are the last few lines of the modified ShopBot Arcs Inches postprocessor file:

"'Turning router OFF"
"SO,1,0"
+ "J2,[XH],[YH]" Eliminated Jog Home by commenting it out
"'"
+ Added the End statement below to prevent ShopBot file runtime error
"END"

"UNIT_ERROR:"

beacon14
09-19-2008, 11:24 PM
Thanks for saving me a bunch of time John.

If you don't feel like messing with the postprocessor you can download an updated version from the ShopBot website. (http://65.36.212.143/drivers.htm)

jporter
09-20-2008, 11:08 AM
John and David, thanks for the reply. From reading some of both of your previous posts I understand that we all live in the Atlanta area (Marietta for me). Maybe I will get to meet you-all someday and learn from the Masters. I must say that purchasing the little ShopBot has been a very worth while and rewarding experience so far. Not the least of which is this forum that has helped me so much. Thanks again, joe

beacon14
09-21-2008, 10:48 AM
Hi Joe,

Calhoun is what we would call "up the road a piece". If you ever get into the big city (I use the term euphemistically, Atlanta is not really that big a city in many ways) give me a ring and stop by.

Keep an eye out for the annual Atlanta Camp, it's been in January the last few years, we should be hearing something about it soon I hope.

jporter
09-21-2008, 12:30 PM
Thanks, will do, joe