PDA

View Full Version : Tool Path Strategies. help please!

relic_hunter
02-14-2010, 10:10 AM
I’ve had my ShopBot for a few years. Most of what I’ve done is 2.5D and a little 3D. Now I have a challenge ahead of me and could use some advise. The frame below is what I need to cut. Can anyone offer tool path strategies?

After constructing the picture frame, I would create the radius and rough in the corners with a 1” radius bit. Then using a 0.125 ball nose create the roses and rings. I would finish with a 0.0625 ball nose in a rest tool path. Is my thinking correct here?

Thanks, Chuck

khaos
02-15-2010, 09:14 AM
Yup. Thats what I would do. Do a small sample and make sure the clearance is the same for your .125 and 1.0. (make sure the bottom of the cut matches) Since its a finish cut you should be OK.
HTH

bob_s
02-15-2010, 10:03 AM
Chuck
It should work fine, but I agree that testing a piece is the best way to go.
Be very careful that the collet or Router chuck does not hit the side of the molding while cutting the design in the corners. I have done it, and it isn't pretty! A long bit like the Onsrud or Beckwith tapered ballmill should work. It is hard to see how deep it is from the image. Also expect some shape distortion in the hearts and roses as the make the transition from nearly horizontal to more vertical.
If that is a 1" radius you might have to go to a smaller than 1/8 ballnose to get this detail in the rose as that stem looks like about 1/32

don
02-15-2010, 02:22 PM
Moving the mouse pointer over the model while in the 3D window, you will be able to see the height of the model under the mouse in the lower right hand corner. (The x,y & z height will be displayed) This will help to see if you have enough flute length.

relic_hunter
02-17-2010, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the input!