PDA

View Full Version : Im trying Automate the process for my Grandma.

daniel
02-22-2006, 03:56 PM
Hey Guys,
I've made some Lithopanes and now my family and friends all want one. I work at a regular Job during the day so I need to automate the process of making these thing so that my grandmother could do it. How do I do that?

I've got a vacuum system so changing out the part isn't a problem for her. However after changing out the part, she needs to restart the process. This must be down with a BUTTON because she's not up to speed with the computer.

Questions:
(1) How do I write the code to (a) make the bot stop after the last part file until you (b) hit a button, which (c) calls up the next part file and begins to cut?

What kind of switch do I buy and what input would I put it on?

I don't know much about programing, I understand from another thread that this is looping.

Thanks Guys!

paco
02-22-2006, 04:17 PM
You shouldn't need anything more than your current keyboard to do this.

-----

''Some starting code...

LOOP:
J3,4.117698,11.472374,0.188000 '---This is the first line of you toolpath (what you're looking to loop.)
M3,4.117698,11.472374,-0.065000

JZ,4.000000
J2,25.000000,24.000000 '---This your last line of toolpath (That you want to loop).

INPUT "Continue? ANY KEY to continue or N to end" &cont
IF &cont = N THEN GOTO END
GOTO LOOP

''Some ending code...

-----

Let us know if something doesn't make sense.

You might want to enable 'Filterkeys' feature from the Accessibility Options in the Win Control panel... ;-D

daniel
02-22-2006, 04:30 PM
So basically, (1) I create a seperate toolpath for every lithopane. (2) Open the first toolpath in the editor and at the end of it type,

Loop

Then I paste in the second toolpath and after that I type

INPUT "Continue? ANY KEY to continue or N to end" &cont
IF &cont = N THEN GOTO END
GOTO LOOP

If that is correct, can I do with more than two files by pasting the same thing at the end of each toolpath?

billp
02-22-2006, 04:38 PM
Daniel,
Another option is to use a larger piece of plastic/Corian. Then write up/save a file so that you do multiple, but different, lithos from the same file. You could re-build your vacuum unit to accomodate the larger piece, and this way you could do 3,4,12 lithos from the same file. If it were laid out properly you could just have her periodically check on the piece, and it would run most of the day until you came home.And then YOU would cut them apart

bill.young
02-22-2006, 04:44 PM
Hey Daniel,

You could also use the "runner" program in the Developer folder to create a custom form that you could have on the desktop, with a button for each file that your grandmother needs to cut. Then all she needs to do is click the buttons to cut each file. It would require a little bit of advance work for you to set it up beforehand but would be easy for her to use.

There's a Bills Corner article that describes setting it up and using it at http://www.shopbottools.com/bcfilerunner.htm

Bill

paco
02-22-2006, 05:18 PM
Daniel,

is this a file you want to repeat on each blank (what I've showed above) that someone will be changing once done?... or what you need is a pause in between two (or more) different files (for toochanging or something)?... if the latest, just put a PAUSE in between each of the pasted toolpaths in a new SBP file.

You might want to consider Both Bill's ideas; Bill P. could automate multiple runs of this design (then run a "cutout" toolpath) while Bill Y. suggested a way to make this VERY friendly user...

I could offer to $end me the file($) and I could help you that way... but since this been requested quite a few times recently, let make it a tutorial or something like "the best way" to acheive this kind of goal... anybody in?!

daniel
02-23-2006, 09:21 AM
What I need is a pause between two (or more) different files (for changing out material).

So I guess I make the first part file and add a pause at the end of it, then I paste the next part file.

Essientially this is the samething as making a large part file and adding a pause in it somewhere.

So I just type pause at the end of the first toolpath which will cause the bot to stop until any key is hit.

daniel
02-23-2006, 10:00 AM
Ok guys, I'm starting to figure this out, Programming is Kinda Cool.

I added the pause and it stops it until I hit any key on the keyboard. But if I want to make only a certian key work, I have to either (1) Enable filter keys in windows, or (2) Program it to pause until a certain Key (or Key combinations) is pressed.

mikejohn
02-23-2006, 11:36 AM
I have 12 function keys on my keyboard.
could these be programmed for 12 instructions? (FP, ZZ, ZX, ZY, J2 etc.)
And before you start disparaging Grandparents,I have 7 grandchildren!!
They do say you know when you are getting old when you realise you are sleeping with a grandmother

..............Mike

Ryan Patterson
02-23-2006, 04:27 PM
Daniel,
I think that Bill Y.'s suggestion would be the easiest and safest way to do this. You can use an input switch to resume the process look into the ON INP command. For examples on using ON INP look at the zzero.sbp file.

daniel
02-23-2006, 06:20 PM
So my code should look something like this...

MS, 1.7,.05
M3, 1,0,2.0,-1 ------------First Part File
M3 1.8,2.9,-1.6
J3 0,0,.5

ON Inp(1,1)----------------What exactly do I
type here to
make a pause until a
button that is wired
to input one is pushed

MS, 1.7,.05
M3, 1,0,2.0,-.5------------Second Part File
M3 1.8,2.9,-1.4
J3 0,0,.5

paco
02-23-2006, 06:59 PM
Daniel,

please explain in detail what you're looking to achieve; what are you doing? Why do you need a pause (and resume within a file if you don't change tool bit?... is your grandma changing the tool bit?! Do you just change the blank in between file runs?

If you only need a pause then PAUSE is the command for this. You can code PAUSE, 1 for a second long pause or just PAUSE to wait for anykey resume.

If you need a 100% foul proof resume kinda process, study the solution that BIll Y. and Ryan are suggesting. It's easy and you could set each button with smilly number! Bill as link (above) to a tutorial on how to "program" this...

INPUT need a input switch installed.

BTW, looking at other codes is a good way to learn how to... here an example on how I repeat, with a pause, for multiple blank...

4572 (0.3 k)

...have a look at it with the previewer.

bill.young
02-24-2006, 06:29 AM
Hey Daniel,

How about something like this. Your grandmother would just have to hit the Y key each time to cut the next file...any other key would END the file. It's also easily re-usable...all you need to do each day is to change the filenames to that day's files.

INPUT "Type Y to cut the next file, anything else to end" &answer1
IF &answer1 <> Y THEN END
FP, file1.sbp

INPUT "Type Y to cut the next file, anything else to end" &answer2
IF &answer2 <> Y THEN END
FP, file2.sbp

INPUT "Type Y to cut the next file, anything else to end" &answer3
IF &answer3 <> Y THEN END
FP, file3.sbp

END

lto
02-24-2006, 07:29 AM
We are using the method shown by Paco. It has certainly saved alot of time when repeating files. No need to re-start the file, then re-start the spindle, then commence action from the keyboard. Simply turn off the Fein Vac when the file is complete, switch workpieces, turn on the Fein, and hit the spacebar to continue.

Thanks Paco for pointing us in that direction.

It is amazing how much more repetitious work gets done in a day by removing the little interuptions.

I have not had my grandmother run the ShopBot, but employing the LOOP method has caused a certain 4th grade student to feel quite important for a few hours recently.

paco
02-24-2006, 08:42 AM
Glad you like it Louis.

This kind of looping is very customizable. I hate to count long batch of parts, so I often set a count to it... one more, as in the file above, I like to have the tool automatically get away from the working area, so I make some mods to the X & Y "zero".

I like Bill way above too.

Remember, always check this kind of modification in the previewer first.