PDA

View Full Version : Tracing

nat_wheatley
12-05-2008, 07:08 PM
I'm trying to trace my first image. I cut and pasted the image into Paint, saves as a .PNG file, brought it into PW as a bitmap, then 'fit vectors to bitmap'. How do I get a profile more consistant with the outside shape of the original image?

I've attached the original image as well as a screenshot of my hapless PW attempt.

beacon14
12-06-2008, 12:06 AM
Sometimes it's easier and more accurate to just use the bitmap as a guide and draw the lines and curves you need to represent the edge of the part. Draw one half and then use the Mirror Selected Vectors tool to complete the drawing.

nat_wheatley
12-06-2008, 04:17 PM
Thanks David, I give that a try.

sawdust535
12-06-2008, 08:13 PM
Nat, I use CorelTrace for tracing bitmaps. If you still have trouble with it, send me the bitmap and I will create a dxf file for you.
GC

nat_wheatley
12-06-2008, 09:23 PM
George,

How user friendly is CorelTrace? I have a very old version (CorelDraw, Trace etc.) and have never used that feature, but may dig it out if that's the program to use. I would like to get the hang of tracing as I could see using it a fair amount in the future.

sawdust535
12-06-2008, 09:45 PM
I have version 13 (X3), but I started with version 3 many years ago. I'm not sure of the differences. CorelTrace is fairly user friendly once you play with the different parameters when tracing. You still have to bring the vector image into CorelDraw and tidy up a little using the node editing tools.