PDA

View Full Version : 3D Cutout to big

cliffn
04-12-2008, 11:50 AM
The problem is that when cutting out a relief with 3D Cutout, it leaves about .040-.050" worth of material that needs to be cleaned away all the way around the relief. I know that this sounds like a tool bit being undersize and I know how to correct for this in the tool setup. But, what I was wondering, is there an offset that I am missing somewhere? The problem is that when cutting out a relief with 3D Cutout, it leaves about .040-.050" worth of material that needs to be cleaned away all the way around the relief. That almost a full 0.1" in cutter size adjustment. For a measured 1/8" end mill (0.125"), thats too much error in tool size to be the real problem.

Any Ideas?

I posted this on the ArtCam forum too. If you want to follow that also, follow this hyperlink: http://forum.artcam.com/viewtopic.php?p=27886#27886

cliffn
04-12-2008, 01:39 PM
Second question: Would it be better to correct this problem with an inside offset vector and 3DCutout to that? By just making the tool size smaller, it might cut into the design futher in some of the very small arcs. I might be answering my own question here. Your Thoughts?

Brady Watson
04-12-2008, 02:44 PM
"Would it be better to correct this problem with an inside offset vector and 3DCutout to that?"

Yes.

I never use the 3D Cutout toolpath if for no other reason than it really never follows the RLF tightly enough. You have 2 choices: 1) Offset your vector (I've found to be) 40% the tool bit diameter to the inside OR 2) Use NEGATIVE allowance when calculating the 3D cutout that same 40% value. This should cleanup that transition between 2D & 3D, which by the way is often a bit tricky to get - so you may have to play with offsets a bit. The 40% rule doesn't apply in all cases, and how tightly the vector outline follows the actual RLF pixels is highly dependent upon your resolution settings.

-B

cliffn
04-12-2008, 08:50 PM
Thanks Brady! As always, your answer solves the problem for me. Thanks for being there for us!