PDA

View Full Version : Cutting profiles or machining on 3d objects

macswell
02-12-2010, 04:15 PM
Hello, i am some what new using my shopbot but have years of training in 3d cad software. i use solidworks for mostly everything now. I have machined 3d molds and used a vacuum press to laminate material on top of them. now i would like to cut an out line in the material so i am left with my finished piece. the problem is that i can not change the material shape in PW3d or PW2d so it thinks i am cutting out of a block instead of a 3d shape. i also tried to change my approach at the whole project and create a 3d file in SW that was a block with a recessed grove where i wanted my cut to be but it still wants to shape the whole block. So the question is simply how can i cut or machine a line drawing on a 3d surface? am i going about this in the wrong way? thanks for the help.

myxpykalix
02-12-2010, 05:13 PM
If i understand, you just want to cut out the 3d part. What you need to do is have a 2d toolpath around the perimeter of the part by creating a vector outline of the part. I assume you should be able to load the part or a picture of the part in pw2d and make the vector outline.

widgetworks_unlimited
02-13-2010, 02:32 AM
If you follow Tony M's suggestion, (from the other thread you posted this question in) you should be able to "slice off" the rest of your part and be left with a 3D Profile cut.

If a 2D Profile cut is sufficient, you should be able to project a 2D vector onto a flat plane below the part using SolidWorks. I haven't done it in a while, sorry I don't have more specifics.

macswell
02-16-2010, 02:24 AM
the problem cutting the file with a 2d path is that some areas are going to cut through deeper than others. my z axis has to go up and down to follow the contour of the mold through out the path of the profile.

bob_s
02-16-2010, 08:47 AM
Max
I believe that you can do what you want with Aspire. In the profile toolpath window, near the bottom, check "Project toolpath onto 3D model".

I imported a random piece of an STL file and created an oval to cut into it as a profile, it could also be a cut "through" a molded surface.
If you look closely in the cut you can see that the depth does follow the contour

ken_rychlik
02-16-2010, 09:17 AM
Max, If you look into the fluting section of partworks you may find it would work for you.

You can basically create the outline, then add nodes to section it off. Next create ramps with fluting toolpaths that will flow up and down.

It would be a manual fix and more time consuming, but I think it would work.

Kenneth

macswell
02-17-2010, 09:29 PM
Thanks guys I think aspire is the way to go but it's a bit expensive, gonna do some research thanks for the input.