PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Roughing pass

khaos
01-10-2010, 11:24 AM
I do deep intricate work. I'd like to be able to do an initial rough with a large bit then come in and rough with a small bit to avoid breaking fine details of the work. The issue is the roughing routine does not account for any prior cuts. How do we do this without hours of air cuts on a second roughing pass?

chipster
01-10-2010, 02:00 PM
If you are talking about 3D carving, it's called "rest machining". There is a video on Vectric's web site.

If I could help further, I would. However, understanding that technique is a mission I am currently on too!

khaos
01-10-2010, 02:21 PM
Going to check that out as my bot will be busy for a few hours cutting mostly air.

Thanks,
Joe

khaos
01-10-2010, 03:32 PM
I believe that this will leave me with the same issue. The 3d finish path still does not seem to honor the pass depth setting. I am using a 1/2 inch ball nose to hog out a few inches of wood and I want to come in behind that with a 8th inch to rough. Initially I thought I'd just change the step over and it would be fine. Not so after breaking a new bit I realized the 16th pass depth was not respected as the bit dug in about 1/4 to 3/8 deep and snapped at 3ipm.

Am I missing a key tool path design element?