PDA

View Full Version : Recommened 3-D software for Shopbot?

Matt (Unregistered Guest)
01-27-2006, 11:10 AM
I've been Shopbotting for about 6 months now, and want to expand my abilites in 3-D carving. So far, all I do is draw 2-D vector art and use the Part Wizard to assign different depths to each vector/area. Now I want to carve complex curves and textures by designing truely 3-D models from scratch and using a roundnose bit for the milling. The work I am doing is pretty varied: not cabinet making and not sign carving, but a little of both so it has to be flexible. The pieces are usually one-of-a-kind, so the design process should be relatively easy. I'm pretty computer savvy, but I don't want to invest in one software package if there is something out there that will dovetail especially well with the Shopbot. It seems like there are a ton of options, and likewise a ton of SB conversion issues. Lets assume (for the moment) that money is not a factor. Any thoughts?

01-27-2006, 03:46 PM
I'm familiar with a lot of graphics programs, and right now I'm drawing on Macromedia Freehand (on a Mac), then importing into Illustrator (on the PC in the shop that my shopbot runs off of). From Illustrator I'm then going into PartsWizard and assigning toolpaths to my vectors. Confusing, I know: it has to do with what software I have on which computer. I plan on getting a PC for the office and installing the new 3-D software into it. I'm not sure what the best method for drawing the 3-D work will be. I suppose I can go from AutoCAD (or something else?) into PartsWizard to generate toolpaths? Those ArtCAM packages are super expensive, but they do have the benefit of being able to generate .sbp files. I just don't know if that one feature makes ArtCAM worth it.

joe
01-27-2006, 10:56 PM
Matt,

Like you, I also investigated 3D programs. Here are my findings.

If you want to go directly to the router as quickly as you can, it will cost.

A couple of programs at the top are, ArtCam Pro and Enroute 3. They are complete packages with everything most folks want including the post processors that will generate codes to the SB. They also have the tool changer codes. I think the limit is 12 bit changes.

Yes, there are lots of much cheaper programs such a Millwizard and Rhino that are down right powerful. Any magic combination of several of these will do a great job. But It takes a combination. If youre computer savy, and not challenged by time, you can save some real money.

Another aspect: 3D carving takes time. I believe a general rule is one hour per square foot. For us, it's hard to justify.

Good luck with this and I hope you will keep us informed on your venture.

J.
www.normansignco.com (http://www.normansignco.com)

01-29-2006, 02:09 PM
Thank You Joe. I'm thinking of going with a 3-D program like Rhino for the modeling, and then Millwizard for the generation of toolpaths and .sbp files.

stevem
01-29-2006, 02:58 PM
You might want to look into RhinoCam. It's a combination of Rhino and VisualMill in one program.

I'm currently using the two programs as separate entities and am very happy with the outcome.

hespj
01-29-2006, 04:00 PM
I use RhinoCam and am certainly happy with the product, although all I have to compare it with is the brief time I was able to trial other products. I really like the fact that the programs are combined - I can switch between editing toolpaths and surfaces without constantly exporting from CAD to CAM.

"Now I want to carve complex curves and textures by designing truely 3-D models from scratch"

Rhino is better at handling complex curves than Autocad in my experience.

John

joe
01-29-2006, 09:03 PM
Matt,

You'll do well with Rhino Cam I'm sure. I'd encourage you to dump CadCam. This isn't as easy to learn or effecient as a true graphic program.

CadCam is a powerful architectural software capable of doing 3D illustrations, but absolutely difficult to learn, time consuming and very poor at transporting through most other graphic programs. Even the best CadCam user will find it difficult to match the speed or acuracy of a seasoned Illustrator. That's because they are made for different applications.

Joe

02-01-2006, 11:47 AM
Thanks. I've looked into RhinoCam, and it seems like the best bet. John, do you use the basic version, or the full$3000 "Pro" version of RhinoCAM? I don't need the 4th axis control, but there are other machining features in the Pro version that I'm not sure about. That's a big jump in price for something I won't ever use...

hespj
02-01-2006, 03:17 PM
Matt, I use the basic version. That's all there was when I bought it. I was offered the upgrade to Pro for $2000 (I think)but I'm still wrestling with the basic features without spending more money on more features.

I'm not experienced enough in 3D CAM to comment on the extra features in Pro other than to say, apart from the 4th axis, the extra Pro features look like refinements on existing features in Basic rather than whole new capabilities.

I would say, if your just starting in 3D, Rhino and RhinoCam Basic will be a more than adequate tool for at least a couple of years. When you start to find limitations in RhinoCam basic you have an upgrade path (adding 4th axis to Basic, or upgrading to Pro).

Feel free to ask any RhinoCam questions.

John

btk
02-01-2006, 03:51 PM
Matt,

If you look at this thread,
http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/messages/31/7037.html
I commented on using RhinoCam Basic vs. RhinoCam Pro (also have used Visual Mill in past).
Mecsoft has very good support and you can visit their forum on their website and ask any questions which are normally answered promptly by either a user or by mecsoft themselves.

If you post some further information on some types of objects you are looking to machine, I can give you some idea if the "basic" strategies are enough or if you would be better off using the "pro" strategies.

One Note However: While RhinoCam is very powerful and I am very a happy with it, it takes a bit of getting used to and patience before you realize the workflow and process. Artcam Products (which I have not used extensively) seem to be more user friendly with many project/task centric wizards to help you along.

Brian

02-02-2006, 09:55 AM
This has been extremely useful.
I may revisit this thread once I get my feet wet with Rhino...
Thank you all.