PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Illustrator to DXF query

johnm
07-12-2005, 04:23 AM
Folks -

The wife and I are working on getting set up with a 48" SB - She does graphics and is conversant in Adobe Illustrator. I've seen some posts here, and want to know what the process is to convert an AI file into a DXF file for SB. If we can use Adobe Illustrator then we/she won't have to get (I hope) Art CAM, saving a big chunk of $$. Then to play the devil's advocate, if AI will work, what would we be missing in NOT getting Art CAM? We're trying to figure out what'll work best - we don't want to cut corners, but don't want to waste our resources either. Any feedback would be appreciated.

mikejohn
07-12-2005, 05:44 AM
John
There are a number of plug ins for Illustrator to .dxf. Here (http://www.kandusoftware.com/products/windows/dxfexportaipi.html) is just one. I have no experience of it so am not reccomending it particularly. At $99 its a cheaper alternative to ArtCam.
Illustrator is Vector Graphics, so theoretically if you can draw it, you can cut it.
I always add when discussing software, not to be seen as promoting any particular method, what works for you is the right solution.
................Mike

elcruisr
07-12-2005, 06:32 AM
John,
A great deal depends on what you are planning on doing with your machine. The application will determine the tools you need. Base your decision on that instead of trying to pinch a few dollars because in some cases that will cost you in the end. The tactics you are asking about are perfectly fine in some instances. In my case I needed fast, often complex toolpathing but not 3-d so I used Artam Insignia. I tried PW for about two months and made the change and it saved me thousands in productivity over the last three years. You may or may not need that. What are you planning to do with your machine?

Eric

scott_smith
07-12-2005, 12:35 PM
John, Like Eric said, it depends what your doing. If you’re buying a new or newer machine it will come with Part Wizard. Part Wizard will import AI files directly. No need to go through a DXF file. I do it with DWG files all the time.

johnm
07-12-2005, 12:39 PM
Eric/Mike -

Thanks for the software link - I'll check it out. As for pinching bucks, yes, I unnerstand... Most of our work, the BIG JOB for which we would justify the purchase of the machine is cutting out Victorian Gingerbread for trim - so it would all be 2D work. If Artcam is it, fine, we will get it, but She's got Adobe and knows how to use it, so we would save quite a bit of time on the learning curve. I also have TurboCAD and DesignCAD, but am only just getting started on the learning curve there.

If we do need to get more appropriate software, wouldn't it make sense to get AutoCAD? The AutoCAD community and such is HUGE, and it seems like there is more support out there than for ArtCAM.

Again, I understand the false economy of scrimping - I just don't want to reinvent the wheel and have to learn to ride a bike again if what we have will work for our needs.

After poking around looking at the various small shop CNC options, there is NO question that SB is the only real choice - their support for the unit I'm using in the school is fantastic and this forum has been a Godsend.

I appreciate your comments and feedback.

John

mikejohn
07-12-2005, 12:57 PM
John
If its only 2D then any of those programmes you name should do the job.
I use autoCad 2000, I dont believe there is anything this can not do, but dedicated sign software, or kitchen cabinet software do do those things better.
I would be reluctant in spending a single cent until you have finally exhausted the possibilities of what you know.
Probably the greatest progress you can make quickly will be in knowing your software, and you have an Illustrator expert on hand

...............Mike

dmdraper
07-12-2005, 01:34 PM
John,

TurboCAD is my CAD program of choice and I am fluent in AutoCAD, Illustrator, Corel, Vector. Like you, I do mainly 2D stuff with the ShopBot. TurboCAD exports to .dxf and the ShopBot .dxf converter seems to do a clean conversion on the files (although I mainly use the NC side of Vector to get .sbp files).

srwtlc
07-12-2005, 08:49 PM
John,

TurboCad, CorelDraw, and Vector here aslo. Like David I do mostly 2D. I've tried PW and Insignia and no offense to those that use them, but with the exception of v-carving I'll take VectorXT any day for my everyday toolpathing.

Scott

Brady Watson
07-12-2005, 09:48 PM
John,
If you are using Illustrator, I find that PartWizard and ArtCAM both like EPS files out of Illustrator and AI v7 files out of Corel. In my experience, DXF out of both of these programs sometimes causes problems.

In regards to what software you need...My advice would be to learn how to use PartWizard. In reality it is a light version of Insignia, which is essentially ArtCAM Pro 2D. I used PartWizard (version 1 mind you) for the 1st year in business and added MillWizard for $250 to get into 3D machining. It all depends what you want to do.

You can go VERY far with 2D machining only using PartWizard. With a little ingenuity and experience you can tab parts and do other sophisticated features in PartWizard, with zero investment in software, until you really have the need for added features such as unlimited v-carving etc. In this case, Insigina is a perfect choice because it is a super-set of PartWizard which drastically eliminates the learning curve. Compared to other packages out there, I think that the Delcam (PartWizard, Insigina, ArtCAM) products are top-notch. They are powerful, extremely reliable and very easy to learn and use. I have test-driven many CAD/CAM packages out there and I nothing that I have come across is better than the Delcam programs.

-Brady

mikejohn
07-12-2005, 11:44 PM
Brady
You say "Compared to other packages out there, I think that the Delcam (PartWizard, Insigina, ArtCAM) products are top-notch
What is it that these programs can do that AutoCad, Corel, TurboCad, Illustrator can not do?
Accepting that .dxf files need a toolpath, and Vector seems to be the over whelming choice for this, what problems do you have with these programmes?
Most of us convert from .dxf, if you are having difficulties I am sure any us would be prepared to help you over your problems.
but as I always say, if it works for you, then its right for you
................Mike

paco
07-12-2005, 11:53 PM
Toolpathing capability... mostly...

mikejohn
07-13-2005, 01:29 AM
Paco
I did recognise this in my previous message.
I am more than willing to take my toolpathing via another program to gain the immense power and speed of something like AutoCad

...........Mike

gerald_d
07-13-2005, 03:24 AM
One of the biggest reasons that I lean towards AutoCad is the huge amount of support available from forums, 3 dealers in my town, colleagues, clients and even my neighbour. The reason it is so big is because it is so darn good.

I would only seriously consider a full CAD & CAM product, like the Delcam's, if I see a lot of people near me using it, and if I think that the CAD side of the product is a match for AutoCad. This is because 80-90% of our time is on the CAD side, and we only take a few minutes at the end to convert to machine code with another program.

However, in your particular area of work, your neighbours, colleagues, clients, dealers may have another product which does the job and offers a lot of support - that will be the right product for you.

hespj
07-13-2005, 04:00 AM
"If we do need to get more appropriate software, wouldn't it make sense to get AutoCAD?".......JM

Whilst I agree that ACAD is an extroadinarily powerful program, I'm not sure it is entirely suited to what we are all trying to do here, which at the end of the day is to create 2D & 3D toolpaths.

If all a person is trying to do is create 2D toolpaths then I would say ACAD is overkill - to difficult to learn (the more versatile the tool, the complex to learn/use), and overly expensive (although acad LT might be suitable). If you're at home with Illustrator I should stick with this.

If a person is looking at getting into 3D I would say ACAD might have serious limitations. I've found that whilst the 3D primitives are okay, trying to draw curvy freeform items is a nightmare. As Mike says, most anything can be done, but I would add - often at slow speed. For 3D freeform curves I would say Rhino is way ahead of ACAD, especially when price is factored in.

Mike asks what Delcam products can do that ACAD etc can't - output toolpaths successfully. If that old chestnut vector order and direction is a problem with ACAD in 2D, it's a disaster in 3D.

My 3D advice to JM is to get some demos and try cutting. This gives a better idea of what you are up against. (Some demos won't let you cut.) I had planned to make do with a cheapy until such time as I really understood the ins and outs of 3D. After cutting one model boat hull with FreeMill I realised that the cheapies just weren't going to hack it and had to bite the bullet and buy RhinoCAM.

John

ps In my opinion, what acad is good at is (amongst other things) presenting drawings for printing (pspace), integrating other drawings into a drawing, integrating data from other programs into a drawing, dimensioning, multiple users, open ended architecture etc etc. All great stuff for an architects office employing a dozen people. Not so good for drawing a rocking horse or a boat.

gerald_d
07-13-2005, 05:26 AM
Most of our work is 2D (or 2.5D). But if we are ever inclined to go "curvy/flowing" 3D, it would probably also be Rhino, because of the local support. Generating SB code from Rhino would be a toss-up between Vector and Meshcam (because we have them already) and maybe RhinoCam if the mood after looking at the demo's/price/support is good.

Brady Watson
07-13-2005, 11:29 AM
Mr Hesp...You're right on the money.

DelCAM products will give you a reliable and successful toolpath. Who wants to spend a bunch of time worrying if all of the vectors are going in the right direction and then test it out in expensive hard wood??? Definately not me. I don't have time for that and don't trust it if I can't see the toolpath with all of the rapid moves and a clear simulation before I cut. For those that like offsetting DXFs for tool compensation, fiddling with colors and the DXF converter...buy BobCAD.

Mike...Vector isn't as successful and popular as you are lead to believe. It is marketed as 'hobbyware' at the moment and it was shipped with the earlier Shopbot tools. The interface is on par with software that was state of the art 15 years ago. While it CAN do 2D and 3D toolpathing, I thank the stars that I got the 'lowly PartWizard' product with my machine. Head to head, PartWizard will spit out a toolpath in 2D faster than Vector could ever dream of doing...but that's just my take on it & if you love Vector and it works for you...well that's great.

Using the DelCAM products I can generate a perfect toolpath with no second guessing or worries in 2D or 3D in a matter of minutes. That's the kind of software that I think should be in everyone's arsenal. I am sure that you PR/Early PRT guys with Vector can do that as well...but it has taken you years to figure out how to use the software.

-Brady

mikejohn
07-13-2005, 11:54 AM
First of all, John says so it would all be 2D work.
I agree that for 3D freeform curves Rhino is quicker, and more suited, than AutoCad.
I can create precisely the direction and order from Autocad .dxf, it is a non issue.
I agree AutoCad is expensive, complex because of its power, and has a long learning curve.
I am opposed to the idea "If it's not my way it's the wrong way
Any CAD program will produce files that can be converted to toolpaths.
I feel that it is wrong too recommend any program as being able to do more than another. I don't claim that AutoCad can do that. I simply ask, What can't it do that the other programs can?
I've already pointed out the need to convert to a toolpath
Vector seems only popular for converting to toolpaths, not as a CAD program.
Offer advice chaps, stop pushing software

................Mike

hespj
07-13-2005, 12:28 PM
Mike, I'm pulling not pushing. I advising not to get ACAD. :-)

What can't acad do? Just this afternoon I had to wrap the splines in the drawing around the curved/straight line in the pic. How to do it in acad?

hespj
07-13-2005, 12:30 PM
Like this:

mikejohn
07-13-2005, 12:33 PM
Thats intersting John, because I am working on a strategy to create splines and 'map' them onto a curve.
As I said above, other programs do some things easier, and are more suited for a particular project.
I'll keep you posted on my efforts.
..............Mike

gerald_d
07-13-2005, 12:36 PM
John, out of curiousity, would you mail me the file that you illustrated above, and that you base your question on?

Brady "Head to head, PartWizard will spit out a toolpath in 2D faster than Vector could ever dream of doing" Jeesh man, my Bull Detector just went into the red there.

brian_harnett
07-13-2005, 01:08 PM
I currently use adobe Illustator CS for most of my sign designs. I then import the AI file into Rams Cam, rams has V carving capability.
Part wizard will also take Illustrator I think it needs to be saved as a eps file its been a while since I have used part wizard, if you are not looking to v carve letters PW will work just fine.

mikejohn
07-13-2005, 01:10 PM
John
I am taking complex shapes, like this
4639, and then 'mapping' the shape I wish to cut out from them, then 'unroll' the shape to a 2d .dxf, to cut in thin birch ply.
But it still needs work

..............Mike

mikejohn
07-13-2005, 01:13 PM
Brian
I use PW only for v carving letters.
............Mike

dmdraper
07-13-2005, 01:22 PM
JM-

These CAD/CAM software discussions always end up like this...

To get back to your original question, IMO you do not need any additional software at this time, especially if $$ is a consideration. Also IMO, learning how to use your SB with the software you have should be your priority. You'd probably just get frustrated by the amount of time you'd spend trying to learn different "demo" packages in order to evaluate them.

As you gain experience and branch out into more complicated projects, you'll have had enough time to figure out what will work best and what $$ committment it will take to get there.

brian_harnett
07-13-2005, 01:25 PM
yes you can v carve but only a limeted amount of fonts, and not from a imported file that has lettering in it.

Brady Watson
07-13-2005, 01:54 PM
Mike,
Rhino is probably the nicest software for projecting a 2D vector to a 3D surface & for unrolling 3D into 2D. It's quick, easy & cheap. I mentioned the DelCAM line of CAD/CAM packages because the drawing tools, machining strategies and other functions are geared towards routing and engraving/v-carving ~ the meat and potatoes of the majority of Shopbot owners. In regards to your comment about DXF, this was regarding a DXF out of the programs mentioned...not AutoCAD. Doubt you'll be able to add anything to what I am doing.

Mike & Gerald,
I don't think that is is 'wrong' at all to suggest software to my fellow Shopbot owners ~ in fact, I think that it is a dis-service not to suggest products that actually work...and work reliably and efficiently. Nobody is 'pushing' software here. Just merely sharing my experience. PartWizard ships with new tools...how is this pushing??? If it strikes a nerve with you, well you'll just have to respect my opinion, as I do yours, and not get upset about it. If you are going to do toolpathing, then by all means, buy a CAM product. AutoCAD is over-kill for the types of work that the majority of us do. You can do just about anything 2D or 3D that AutoCAD can do in Rhino, only better, cheaper and faster, with the same degree of precision. Additionally, you can do anything that AutoCAD can do in 2D in PartWizard for FREE with greater speed and flexibility. I have used both AutoCAD and PartWizard...Pick a 2D design ~ I'll run circles around anyone who uses AutoCAD. Come to the States and we'll 'line em up' if you want to race.

Gerald, Just because you have never used PartWizard, it doesn't give you the right to raise the bull flag. I have used Vector...and you can have it!

-Brady

mikejohn
07-13-2005, 02:18 PM
David
Check out my first 2 posts in this thread.
I say virtually the same as you do.
These CAD/CAM software discussions always end up like this... only when people suggest that one particular software is better, or the only software to use.
I would advise anyone against moving away from a software they know until they are certain they can not achieve what they wish from that software.

Brady
How would you arrive at the toolpath for this

4640 in Parts Wizard?
I genuinely would like to know, I'm not trying to score points.
..................Mike

gerald_d
07-13-2005, 02:23 PM
Brady, I have got (and used) PartWizard. Anyone have some industrial size batteries for my Bull Meter - they are running down fast today?

Oh, remember when you said this (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=29&post=25896#POST25896) last week: "you cannot do a ramped lead-in with PartWizard"?

paco
07-13-2005, 02:35 PM

Brady Watson
07-13-2005, 02:48 PM
John,
Here's the quick and dirty version created with 2D toolpaths in ArtCAM since you can only see 2D toolpath vectors in PartWizard:

I did it by eye since you didn't give any dimensions.

-Brady

FYI ~ This was created with rectangles that were Area Cleared, then the holes were drilled to depth and then profile cut around the entire thing. Each step was machined .25" deeper than the previous ones.

gerald_d
07-13-2005, 02:57 PM
Brady and Mike, let's back away from the rhetoric and flag waving. The basics are that Mike has PartWizard and a demo of Vector that is fast running out. Within days he will either have to pay money to Vector, or get to like PartWizard. So far he prefers Vector, but doesn't like the idea of paying for it (Probably because many SB'ers got it for free).

I don't think that I've done a fantastic job in tutoring Mike on Vector - I only pointed him to some old threads on this Forum. Yet he picked up this "hard-to-learn" program very quickly, because he comes from a CAD background, and because he is still smart (for his age
).

Mike asked above "How would you arrive at the toolpath for this in Parts Wizard? I genuinely would like to know, I'm not trying to score points.", because he has a genuine desire to not waste money on Vector. Brady, your answer was a picture drawn in Artcam - and it doesn't answer his question. This Forum needs a better discussion, and tutoring on PartWizard, if you want guys like Mike to convert to it and help to tutor other "newbies".

Brady Watson
07-13-2005, 03:09 PM
Gerald said, "Oh, remember when you said this last week: "you cannot do a ramped lead-in with PartWizard"?"

Since you've 'used' PartWizard, just how can you do a *RAMPED lead in in PartWizard. I am NOT talking about an XY lead-in, which I use frequently with the plasma cutter, of which I had initially suggested & am I not talking about modifying the SBP afterwards. Please explain the process of doing a RAMPED lead-in in PartWizard, because I would really like to learn how.

-Brady

*A ramp in CAM terminology is commonly referred to as a move in the XZ or YZ plane.

gerald_d
07-13-2005, 03:26 PM
Brady, I agree with you that you cannot do a ramped lead in with PW - that is something I routinely do in AutoCad LT. I mentioned the ramped lead in in response to your statement that effectively said that PW will always beat AutoCad.

Brady Watson
07-13-2005, 03:40 PM
To satisfy your request, here is a couple of views from PW2, showing how I toolpathed the above model. There is a series of AreaClear moves and 4 holes that are drilled (I did a profile on these to see them show up in the 3D view...Drilling only shows the Z-moves as a light line) Due to the size restrictions on this board, the 3D preview is about as big as I can get it.

In PW2, I created one rectangle (.5" X 4" tall) and just kept mirroring them until I had all of the 'steps'. I then created another one horizontally. I then used the scissor tool and clipped out where the vertical rectangles intersected the horizontal ones. I then closed the open rectangles that I just clipped to create that boundary where the horizontal one intersects the vertical ones. Then starting from the right, I selected each rectangle one by one and did an AreaClear toolpath, just lowering the Z-depth by .25" for each rectangle until I got to the end (which was 1.5" deep). I then setup a toolpath to drill the holes. I left the profile pass out on this one to simplify the preview.

Hope that helps,
-Brady

gerald_d
07-13-2005, 03:49 PM
Brady, what are all those lines pointing to the bottom left? Does PW2 still have the tool returning "Home" after each facet?

Brady Watson
07-13-2005, 04:23 PM
Gerald,
They are rapid moves showing the move from 0,0 and back again when it is done each one. These moves show in the preview, but are no longer saved with the toolpath when you save them together...in other words, the jog back to 0,0 is now eliminated between each successive toolpath.

-Brady

srwtlc
07-13-2005, 05:51 PM
Hey Brady,

I can draw circles around you!

Two minutes from blank screen to tool movement with code to set all feeds/speeds, router on/off, and jog home, etc. (macros within the program). Complete with ramped entries and approch/depart.

In fact, that stepped block could be done just as easily in VectorXT, but could be viewed in 3D as you work on it. You wouldn't need to have the block represented in 3D either, just the rectangles and holes at the various heights.

Seriously though, there's no denying your PWP (Parts Wizard Prowess). Just as it came with your tool and you have done well with it, I have done the same with Vector. Kind of like dancing with the one ya brung.

Hobbyware...Haaarumph!

Now that we've totally hijacked Johns thread.......

Scott

Brady Watson
07-13-2005, 06:10 PM
LOL!!! Pretty slick, Scotto

I thought I had you covered in the "PR/Early PRT guys with Vector can do that as well" clause....

-Brady

bleeth
07-13-2005, 10:31 PM
The constant defenses of autocad versus artcam pro, etc. are really quite cute. They remind me of the "my big brother is bigger than your big brother" thing when we were kids. The bottom line is they are two totally different programs for, generally, two different things. To do a really terrific 3-d sign or sculpture you can generate and toolpath the complete job faster and easier in Artcam than any other program, assuming you are well practiced in it. To generate a room full of custom furniture you are going to pull it off better in a drafting program like Autocad. Artcam sculpts and autocad drafts. They are both great programs and are both superior in their own designed capabilities.
By the same token there are other programs that can handle that work extrememly well at a lesser expense as many botters are well aware. If my business were all kitchens I would consider autocad a pain and a waste in comparison to something like KCDW which also does cut lists and costing as well as parametric templates built in. A company I recently joined forces with does all it's work in Autocad, but when I started having a chat with the chief engineer and showed him the simplicity of shopbot programming language and talked Artcam with him his eyes lit up at the possibilities. Now they are sending work to me in Autocad that I am flipping into SBP through PW2 and cutting on the bot. I love Howard Johnsons because of their 28 flavors, How bout you?

Dave

mikejohn
07-13-2005, 11:23 PM
Dave,et al
Read carefuly all my messages above.
Nowhere am I lauding any program as being superior to any other. In fact I recognise that some programs do specific tasks better than others.
The question from John at the start of this thread was If we can use Adobe Illustrator then we/she won't have to get (I hope) Art CAM, saving a big chunk of $$. Then to play the devil's advocate, if AI will work, what would we be missing in NOT getting Art CAM? We're trying to figure out what'll work best - we don't want to cut corners, but don't want to waste our resources either.
Later he says it would all be 2D work.
Adobe Illustrator will work for 2D, he won't have to fork out big bucks.
It maybe considered disingenuous to say the only way forward is any particular alternative software which costs a lot of money and is more than he requires.
As Gerald says, Part Wizard comes free. At the moment I find it hard to use. If I draw a square or rectangle in AutoCad I do it on the drawing screen, I have no need to go back and forward from menu to screen. It took me 33 seconds to draw an exact sized rectangle in AutoCad, derived directly from other data in the drawing, draw an exact circle in the exact centre, again derived directly from other data,then position the square and circle exactly where I wanted it. It took me twice this time to do it in PW, without being able to take the dimensions directly from the drawing.
Now this is a simple task.
Please, walk me through the steps to do this in Part Wizard, one by one, and show me where I going wrong.
............Mike

Brady Watson
07-14-2005, 12:35 AM
Mike,
There is a PartWizard User's Manual for download on the Shopbot site. I think that if you read it and followed along, you would have no problem mastering the program. If you are astute in AutoCAD, then PartWizard will be a walk in the park.

PartWizard is deceptively powerful. It doesn't look like much at 1st glance. The real power lies in the user's ability to edit nodes, and master the hot keys. Once you learn how to edit nodes, cut vectors and change from lines to arcs to beziers and back again with the hot keys...you will find PW a real pleasure to use.

All of the functions that you mention in your post are there, are quick to use and are accurate down to .0001".

There is help on every 'wizard' that appears in the toolbox area when you select a tool. Some functions require that vectors are selected before they are active, and others function differently depending which vectors you choose 1st. In regards to centering vectors, always choose the vector you want to move/center in relation to another vector 1st; hold shift, and select the 2nd one. This will activate the centering tools. When doing centering or aligning 2 vectors, the mantra is 'center/align this (1st selected) to that (2nd selected vector)'.

The most powerful tool in PW is the Transform tool. You can scale XY proportionally up or down by entering either a critical X or Y value OR just one dimension...and you can change it's postion relative to the workspace. You can also rotate an exact angle and other functions. By clicking on the vector and using the transform tool, you can get an exact XY dimension of the part and where it resides in relation to the workspace.

Learn to use the guidelines. You can drag a guideline down (above numbers & tick marks) or to the right to position a guideline as an accurate reference. To get an exact position of the guide, just right-click on the guideline and enter the value you want the guide to be in. You can snap vectors and nodes to the guidelines or use them as references for cropping vectors.

I could probably write a million words and post as many pictures on how to use PW...The best teacher is to just get in there and start playing with it. If you get frustrated, ask how to do something on the forum...this is why we are here for each other!!!

-Brady

btk
07-14-2005, 07:27 PM
I am hesitant to chime-in because of all the furor, however I have to agree with Brady. PartsWizard has a lot more features than it apears at first glance.
I would highly recomend it to a new user looking to do 2D work.
(1) Very tight integration with Shopbot (both tool and company)
(2) Free with new Shopbot
(3) Can do many 2.5 tasks without having to worry about conversions, DXF versions, etc.

Once you exhaust all that Partwizard can do, then I guess you can come on the forum and ask/search for opinions/options, on what to upgrade to.

Disclaimers:
(1) I have not tried Vector.
(2) I have not tried Insignia or ArtCAM Pro.
(3) I have used several CAD/CAM packages that are much faster/complete than PartsWizard, however NONE that I would recommend to a first time computer user.

-Brian

mikejohn
07-15-2005, 12:01 AM
BTK
If you read all the posts above, you will find most agreeing with what you say in principal.
'Botters are offering there advice on the software they use, and most are answering the first question.
Not one person is saying any software is better than any other, or rubbishing what others use, except one.
It is these comments which cause the furore. I repeat again that I fully support the idea that the program that works for you is the right way to go.
It is unhelpful to newcomers, in fact to the whole community, to try to promote one package against another, particularly with unsupportable claims.
Read through again to find anyone saying there method and software is better than any one elses.
..........Mike

srwtlc
07-18-2005, 11:55 PM
Brady, Mike, et al, I hope you didn't take me wrong in my above post. I was just having some fun with Brady's "circles around" comment. No offense or "my dad's stronger, faster, better than yours" was meant. Brady just left the door flappin' in the breeze and I just couldn't resist. You just never know what might come wandering in! If I offended, I apologize.

Scott

beacon14
02-12-2006, 10:41 PM
back to the original point of this thread...

I just purchased and downloaded an .ai file from TurboSquid.com. It won't open in PartWizard. ("The EPS/AI file does not have a valid header".) The creator's notes say it was made using Adobe Illustrator 10.

Can anyone open this file and convert it to a .dxf that I can then use in DesignCad?

Thanks in advance. Once again what should have been simple is anything but.

David B.

knedert
02-12-2006, 11:21 PM
Hi David,
Don't know if I can help, but willing to try....
I have Illustrator CS, and had the same error message... until I found on this forum that I can save it as an earlier version (Thanks Paco!).
So, if you want to email me the file, I will try to convert it for you. No guarantees if it will work with DesignCad (since we don't have that software - would be unable to test it out), but willing to try to return the favor of help.
ww,
Rose

paco
02-12-2006, 11:33 PM
Hey David!

What else (CAD programs) do you have right now?... Rhino (trial) handle quite a bunch of file formats... COREL (the latest) even more but the trial won't last as Rhino (only 30 days instead of "25 saves maximum" with Rhino)... and won't work 3D. Do you have Open Office (2); DRAW may open it...

knedert
02-13-2006, 12:21 PM
David,

You have mail.
Ignore all but the final version which was opened in AI, converted, opened and saved in Part Wizard 2, & zipped. (Remember 11x8.5)

~Happy to help ~
ww,
Rose

beacon14
02-13-2006, 05:21 PM
Many thanks to Rose, and to Paul Nielson and 2 others who also e-mailed me. I have the file I need and work to do!

Paco, someday I'll have to look seriously at software but for now DesignCAD, PartWizard, and my friends here at the forum are making it too easy on me!

Thanks again all,
David B.

jsfrost
02-14-2006, 08:55 AM
I use photoshop for preliminary cleanup of photos. and reciently discovered that a selection, after conversion to a path, can be saved as an AI. Since the selection and smoothing tools in Photoshop are so advanced, this could be very useful. Problem is, nothing I have recognizes the resulting AI as useful data. I think this probably relates to some of the above posts. Has anyone had success in getting vectors out of Photoshop?

robtown
02-14-2006, 09:02 AM
Jim,
I have used export "paths to illustrator" quite a few times. The problem with it is that when you turn a selection into a path it is not too accurate as it interpolates corners into curves. I alsways end up in Corel or Illustrator fixing the ensuing paths.

robtown
02-14-2006, 09:06 AM
Mike,
I'd love to hear more about how you unwrap a curved piece to make it a flat cut part. I have done this in 3dsMax using unwrap UV but its clunky and not that accurate.

mikejohn
02-15-2006, 06:32 AM
Looking at the old threads, I feel I should say something in support of Parts Wizard.
I still am not using it for any direct CAD drawing.
However!!!!!
If I trace a .jpg in coral draw, end export it to .dxf,I find that many of the lines can not be offset in AutoCad. Also I sometimes have parts of the drawing corupted. (I sometimes also have the program hang up if I have osnap on.)
But if I export .eps to Parts Wizard, I can offset to my hearts content. Mind you, trimming isn't as easy as AutoCad

...............Mike

stevoartist
10-17-2006, 05:07 PM
Announcing Success! Parts Wizard PW 2.000B has accepted my dxf export from Adobe IllustratorCS2. My platform is MacOSX3.9. Any Mac users out there?

I am in Florida. The ShpBot PRT/Alpha96, is in Cleveland. The operator is setting the cutting depth coordinates. The line thickness was set to .001pt size with no fill. You can't get away with 0 line thickness or else it will not export. No boolean splines or curves can be used.

The original subject of the skier image was a jpeg. This was placed as an underlayer for tracing. The Live Trace feature of IllustratorCS2 was a total failure, too many nodes. Overlapping "white islands" cannot be used, obviously.

Has anyone suceeded with an .ai extension?

Brady Watson
10-17-2006, 05:49 PM
I've always used AI out of Corel & EPS out of Illustrator...Sounds backwards, but it works. By saving it as the lowest version, you eliminate problems on import in PW.

-B

stevoartist
10-20-2006, 09:16 AM
Sounds right to me.

I want the LOC/Precision team to get Corel Suite.
Corel on the PC end, translating Mac ouput Adobe Illus eps to ai in Corel. That formula was used for other devices like Gerber and GerberEdge and those bump printers for automated CD Labels, but that's off topic.

Corel has the most file translators than any other software. It's because it's Kodak and Kodak's ICC color tables are mated in there. They together attempted a monopoly on computer graphics. Derogatory but true.

I want to try exporting to .dwg lowest version next.