PDA

View Full Version : Corner-radious bit detail

tree
03-30-2007, 10:52 AM
What would be the best way to define a .750 corner-radious bit? Theres not one in the drop down but I have a few ideas.... but I dont think Im right.

frank_hav
03-30-2007, 11:42 AM
Brain, assuming you want the side edge to be tangent to the surface...You need to know the Diameter of the small end. You also need to measure how deep it is from the small end bottom to the tangent of the radius up top. 0.75 + ?. You may have to adjust this the first cut or two until you tweak this in. Then you should have a good tool def. This is the way I set mine up at least.

Frank

Gary Campbell
06-22-2007, 10:49 PM
Is there a library or resource that one could find different tool definitions? Or are we left to define each one?

Thanks Gary

bleeth
06-23-2007, 06:40 PM
The built in library in PW is always assuming the existing categories. Anything not already in it must be added manually. It will not recognize new categories, so all new bits must be put into one of the existing sections. For the profile bits, PW will not recognize them as such which is why you must simply treat them as a straight bit with the diameter of the lower point (smallest diameter) entered as the tool diameter. Grooving bits (check it out on Amana tools) would be put in as straight bits if they had a flat bottom, 3d optionally if they had a round bottom and could be entered as v-bits if they came to point and you determined the angle of the v as if it were a straight v bit. You can, of course name them anything you want for clarity. If you have your straight bits sharpened by a reputable shop they will come back tagged with the new diamete and you can create a tool for that so you will maintain accuracy when using it.

Gary Campbell
06-24-2007, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the confirmation, Dave. A guy can always wish for "some magic".

Gary