PDA

View Full Version : Tool not lifting between parts

aquiloboats
07-08-2004, 11:29 PM
I am cutting some complex closed curves (2D) which I generated in Turbocad and imported to PW.
The parts are cutting fine, but the tool is not lifting between the parts, it stays down and runs back to zero, right through the cut parts at jog speed. I have checked the code and there are lines in the code at the end of every part <J3,x,y,1.00> I have tried selecting all the parts together and then pressing the calculate button for toolpathing and I have also tried calculating different toolpaths for each part then saving them under the same cut file, but no luck... any suggestions?

Brady Watson
07-09-2004, 01:47 AM
Roger,
I am assuming that you are not having mechanical difficulties. When you generated your toolpath, what Safe Z height value did you set? Make sure it isn't a negative number or zero. Conversely, make sure that it isn't too high or your Z will top out on the rack and lose steps (lose your z-zero as well).

I know by your post that the file is telling you that it will do a J3,X,Y,1.00...so you might have this set correctly in PW. If you really have to cut this out, you can always just add a JZ,1 line right before the J3 command after the end of each cut. That way it should definately raise the Z before jogging to the next cut.

What version of the control software are you using? Windows or DOS?

Also, another thing you want to check is that you have chosen the 'Top Of Block' as your Z zero when setting up the material at the beginning of the PW session.

Hope you get this worked out. Let us know what it was.

-Brady

scott_smith
07-09-2004, 12:38 PM
Roger,
Are you using the tab function? I’ve had the same problem when I turned the tabbing on at the beginning of several cuts and off at the end of the program. If so you’ll need to turn tabbing on and off for each part.
Scott

ecnerwal
07-09-2004, 12:46 PM
Stupid question time:

in this J3 command, are the x,y the x,y you are presently at?

If so, the effect should be the same a a jz,1

If not, it's going to try to cut a ramp from where you are (x,y,z) to where you are going (x,y,1).

Inserting the jz,1 before should fix this if this is the problem.

zeykr
07-09-2004, 12:48 PM
I had a similar problem with an earlier version of the windows software when tabbing was enabled. Updating to latest windows software fixed the problem.

aquiloboats
07-10-2004, 12:03 AM
Thanks guys. I have tried inserting a command JZ, 1.0 after it cuts each part but it is still staying down. Lawrence, the x, y is the current x, y.
Turning the tabbing feature off, sounds like something that I should try next.
Ken, do you know which version gave you the problems. I am using V1.02.
I also spoke to Chris at shopbot today and he suggested re-doing the curves as there may be something wierd going on with the drawing itself, specially as it is blatantly ignoring a
J3, 0,0,1.00 command.

bill.young
07-10-2004, 08:37 AM
Hey Roger,

I'd suggest downloading the newest version of the software and see if that resolves the problem before you go much further. There have been a lot of changes and bug fixes between the version you're using and the current one (3.1.14)

Bill

aquiloboats
07-21-2004, 01:06 AM
Thanks for all the ideas. I tried two things. The first problem seemed to be happening with the tab function. With tab on, it would decide to run off back to zero without completing the last part. So I switched tab off and it worked. The second problem was due to a really complex drawing which had two lines on different layers of cad. One of the lines was a duplicate and was confusing the software. When I re- drew the curves, everything worked out.