PDA

View Full Version : USB ram drive on DOS?

waynec
04-12-2005, 04:00 PM
I've got a Shopbot PR with a DOS controller and software v 2.38. I run it now on an older DOS computer, but I'll soon have a new machine that's got way more memory and speed.

I'm OK to use DOS only, but I want to stop using floppies, and use a USB ramdrive. That will take care of my floppy reliability problem, and still keep my install lean- no network, no CD drivers, etc.

So, do I have to have windows installed to use USB stuff? I assume I do because of driver issues.

What version of Windows should I use, and how can I configure it for max reliability?

Remember, this is for the OLD Shopbot controller software- V. 2.38.

BTW, my old PR is working great, produces for me daily.

Thanks all for your help.

Wayne from White Salmon

Brady Watson
04-12-2005, 09:19 PM
Wayne,
There is no support for USB in DOS. Win98 SE supports USB and True DOS. It has worked very well for my PRT and runs both 2.39 and SB3.

-Brady

bruce_clark
04-12-2005, 10:50 PM
Brady,

That is not completely true. There are DOS USB drivers, but they have limits.

First, on my dos system, the USB key/dongle has to be connected before the system boots, otherwise DOS will not recognize it. Second, there is no HOT swapping. To unmount, you need to reset your machine.

Also, I have had luck with Memorex 1Gb Key in DOS, but did not have any luck with those 6 in 1 card readers. So, you are better off with just a single card reader or memory key.

Check this out for more info:
http://www.bootdisk.com/usb.htm

If you scroll down to the bottom, you will see where you can download these drivers.

Good luck,

Bruce

waynec
04-13-2005, 10:12 AM
Hearing that Win98SE will run the DOS 2.38, I think that's the route I'll take. I really want to be able to use a hot-swappable thumb drive.

So, off to find a copy of Win98SE. What is the SE designation? Is it a special version, or will any WIN98 version do the job?

I had lots of problems trying to run SB 2.38 on Windows 2000. Sorta scared me away from Windows for the PR. But I'll give it a try.

Good to know there are DOS drivers, but if hot-swapping is off, then the value is greatly reduced.

Thanks for the quick replies!

Wayne from White Salmon

edcoleman
04-13-2005, 10:23 AM
Wayne:

I think that the "SE" stand for Second Edition or some such thing.

I'm using Win98SE with my PR and the DOS software and it works just fine. The thumb drive is soooo much nicer than floppies. One thing I did do was to change the properties on the SB executable so that instead of running in a DOS window within WIN98, the computer actually exits to DOS.

This was necessary for me since, when running very long files, WIN98's power management shuts down the computer. I tried to find a way to bypass this power management feature but couldn't figure it out. It didn't cause a real problem for me, the shopbot simply stopped in the middle of a move when the computer powered down.

-Ed

billp
04-13-2005, 10:45 AM
Ed,
I am still using '98SE on a machine that runs my Roland Picza. I right clicked on the desktop and when the "properties" tab came up I opened it to the display settings. On that page under "screen saver" you get the "energy saving feature of monitor" box and I then hit the "settings" tab. On that page you can tell the program to NEVER turn off either the monitor, OR the hard drive(s). I have run the Picza on some scans which have been 96 hours long, and neither the screen, OR the hard drive "went to sleep". Maybe this will do what you're looking for...

edcoleman
04-13-2005, 10:57 AM
Thanks, Bill.

I tried doing that when this problem first cropped up, but the machine will still shut down after a long time with no user input. I think there may be a BIOS setting on this particular computer that I missed. I really should take the time to revisit this issue since it does get to be a pain to essentially reboot win98 after every shopbot session.

rhfurniture
04-13-2005, 03:41 PM
If you really want dos, I have an IDE cardreader (magic stick etc) for NT4 that has dos drivers on a floppy - I use magic stick in stead of usb dongle - no difference.

R.