PDA

View Full Version : AutoCAD polylines and Vector pockets

Jay Wiese
04-18-2002, 04:56 PM
I am trying to create pocketed letters into a panel for a sign. Here is what I have done so far and it isn't working. I inserted a bitmap image of the lettering into an AutoCAD drawing. Using AutoCAD I traced around the letters with a polyline. I then used Fit to make the trace smooth. I saved the file as a release 12 dxf. After opening the file in Vector, I am unable to use the closed polylines to create a pocket. I have access to AutoCAD and Photoshop. Any suggestions?

clockmaker
04-18-2002, 07:38 PM
Hey Dude, You can't transfer a polyline from Acad to Vector OR Shopbot.You must EXPLODE it first!

syp@earthlink.net
04-18-2002, 11:15 PM
I use plines all the time in autocad. I don't have any problem converting plines to shopbot files when using the shopbot converter. works everytime. I got my shopbot before they shipped with vector so I do not know about vector. with autocad you can offset plines to create pockets. try converting the rel 12 autocad file with the shopbot converter and not using vector.

dmdraper
04-18-2002, 11:36 PM
Jay,

In order to use some of the pocketing routines in Vector, the lines making up the border must be at z = zero, and, they should be selected using the SHIFT-CLICK method. You can check the z depth by selecting the shape and then selecting menu options: SPECIAL - VERIFY.

Dave D.

gerald_d
04-19-2002, 01:33 AM
Jay, would you mail (mailto:mechtron@iafrica.com) me your .dxf and tell me which AutoCad you are using?

gerald_d
04-19-2002, 07:37 AM
Why do I get sent e-mails with viruses every time I invite e-mail at this forum?????

Yay! for Norton anti-virus

Jay Wiese
04-19-2002, 08:47 AM
I think I figured out the problem. I am doing this sign requiring the polyline for a friend as a favor. In an attempt to save me some time, he had me show him how to trace using a polyline in AutoCAD. After struggling with his drawing, I retraced all the letters and it worked fine in Vector. I suspect he had gaps in his lines or who knows what! So much for saving time! Thanks for all of your suggestions. I will also give those methods a try.

Jay