PDA

View Full Version : How to start a cut mid way in file

ronbarnes
12-21-2007, 01:12 AM
I was cutting a simple 3d sign but it is 4 feet by 8 feet and has taken several hours. I paused the cut at code line 20340 and hope to continue the cut tomarrow. My question is how do I brake into the code to restart where I left off instead of starting from scratch again? What do I type as far as a start cutting command? Other wise I will have to do what I did tonight and leave the computer and control box on with spindle off and movement paused-could be hard on the spindle fan to leave on all night then run again tomarrow. Any help.. Thanks

myxpykalix
12-21-2007, 01:52 AM
I'm right in the middle of a very long complicated 3d carved lid for a blanket box and it has run for over 10 hours now and am going to go out and shut it down for the night soon however I am running a router and will just hit the spacebar and WRITE DOWN THE LINE NUMBER just in case, and pause it and leave computer and machine on. There is a way to resume at a line number but frankly i forgot how. I'm not sure why you would need to leave the spindle fan running if you aren't running the tool but since i don't own one i don't know.

rhfurniture
12-21-2007, 01:59 AM
VG command. Lets you start at any line number. Just make sure you are positioned so the first Move command after you start doesn't cut through anything unwelcome. R.

ronbarnes
12-21-2007, 02:09 AM
Thanks , I did write all the line info, just in case but will try this. My fan stays on when ever the control box is on. Just the way they wired it I guess.
Thanks again and Merry Christmas
Ron

beacon14
12-21-2007, 02:20 AM
Actually the command is FG. You can enter the line number and click on "Go", then "Run from here"

rhfurniture
12-21-2007, 04:08 AM
Oops, sorry, yes FG. R

phil_o
12-21-2007, 07:59 PM
I've had a problem with this command. I've restarted a file using this command after a cut is partially complete, 50 - 60 % complete for example. The file runs through many lines of code until it gets to the designated line, then the cutter "Ramps" to the new start point, as it is ramping it cuts through a portion of the material that should not be cut and creates a gouge. I hope this is clear, it's not easy to describe.

Gary Campbell
12-21-2007, 09:09 PM
Ronald...
As Phil and Ralph mentioned above, you can do this, but be careful to have the bit as close to straight above the spot where the file left off as possible. The code line will be a 3d move line (M3) and as Phil points out, you will cut into anything between where the bit is and where it is going. There should be not problem leaving the contol box on or the spindle fan running. Your 3 axis positions will be kept accurately that way.
Gary

rhfurniture
12-22-2007, 10:37 AM
I usually check it out in a text editor, add a few ' character lines and go to one of these to start to avoid confusion.
If the next command is an M2 or a circle cut, you may have to get the cutter to the right X,Y,Z first, either by going back a few lines, or adding a move command or two.
My usual reason for using this command is if I get halfway through a long file, realize I've made a mistake & need to redo something.

beacon14
12-31-2007, 11:37 AM
Hi all, I'm back

There are a few ways to deal with this problem. The most common is to look in the file for the last Z-up move before the point where you want to restart, and begin the file from this point.

Alternately you can insert a line just before the desired starting line that consists of a J3 command to the same position as the starting line but with the Z value at a safe height, then restart at this new line.

Or, as Gary says, manually position the bit so that the "ramping" will not gouge your material.