PDA

View Full Version : Cut Offset Question

nat_wheatley
10-06-2008, 05:32 PM
I was running cut files today and the second pass of my cuts was about 1mm outside of the first cut. It left a small lip on the outside edge of all my pieces, the depth of the second cut. Have I somehow selected this option in the control software or is it an issue with the program I'm using to create my files, Cabinet Parts Pro? I was cutting Friday without this issue, using CPP and the control software.

gpari
10-07-2008, 10:25 AM
Let me guess. Conventional cut direction, first pass more than half way thru the material? You are getting bit/gantry/something flex from the bit pulling itself into the material on the first pass.

A simple fix is to make the first cut in the climb direction. Then the cutter will flex away from your part and then the second pass in the conventional direction. Works perfect. You will notice that the little lip will end up on the off-fall.

Try it.

Gabe

nat_wheatley
10-07-2008, 04:08 PM
Gabe,

You're right about the 'conventional cut direction, first pass more than half way thru the material'. The only change I made from the day before, when I was making simialar cuts without a problem, is that I increased my cut speed from 4" per second to 6" per second. I'll try come cuts in the climb direction and also try slowing things down and see what happens.

gabepari
10-07-2008, 05:30 PM
Yeah, when you speed up, you're increasing the cutting forces inducing more flex. I think you will like the results of first pass "climb", second pass "conventional".

Good Luck,

Gabe

scottbot
10-07-2008, 07:19 PM
I've been getting the same thing and got better results when I slowed down the feed rate.

I've been making puzzle shaped pieces from solid surface material and couldn't get them to fit together no matter what I did.

I didn't know about the first pass 'climb' and second pass 'conventional'. I'll try that and see if that helps with the fit.

Thanks Gabe.

nat_wheatley
10-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Gabe,

I did as you said and it eliminated the problem and gave me a nice cut also. Thanks for the tip. I'm going to try to reduce some of the flex that was causing the problem as well.

gabepari
10-09-2008, 02:55 PM
Good deal. I posted that strategy a while back. A few others have been using it with success as well.

Happy Cutting,

Gabe