PDA

View Full Version : Is Trupan Bleeder Board Available in Canada?

rb99
11-27-2008, 02:26 AM
I am in Ontario, and I am wondering where Canadian Shopbotters are getting true Trupan from?

Thanks,

RB99

paco
11-27-2008, 09:36 AM
Commonwealth Plywood tried real hard (supposedly) and could import unless a full van was ordered. I could easily make two years with 6 sheets...! Other supplier showed no interest in bothering themselves with import "exotics". I pretty much given up on obtaining this material on this side of the border.

rb99
11-27-2008, 09:42 PM
What do you use for bleeder board Paco? Also what type of vacuum do you have?

Thanks,

RB

paco
11-27-2008, 11:46 PM
I don't use any... I don't have any! I hope it would be the other way around...

I have a grid/spoilboard glued over a support board (all MDF).

scottbot
11-28-2008, 01:59 AM
Richard,
I live in British Columbia.
None of the building centres near me have heard about Trupan.
BUT... they did have a product called Ultra Light Weight MDF (or something close to that name).
I bought 3/4" to use as a spoil board and it works great. I took a light skim cut off each face first.

You'll really like it when you go to pick it up too. It really lives up to it's "Ultra Light Weight" name.

Scott

rb99
11-28-2008, 02:13 AM
Hi Scott,

I was reading about the ultra light stuff and it apparently does not work as well as the other board.

How much is it a sheet? I am going to have to get some brought in.

Thanks Paco for your input.

RB

jerry_stanek
11-28-2008, 07:27 AM
I bought the ultra lite and as stated it really works well. I have 2 Feins hooked up to mine and find that for most smaller jobs I only have to use one.

Gary Campbell
11-28-2008, 12:15 PM
Richard...
Just to clarify.... Trupan IS ultralite MDF. Made in Chile from Radiata Pine. Distributed in the US by Arauco. (and formerly by DixiePly in the south)

Other brands of ultralite MDF may work very, if not as well. Due to differences in binders etc., you will have to try the individual product to confirm that it flows air.

Another product made from Radiata Pine into ultralite MDF is: Carter Holt Harvey MDF. It is distributed by Sierra Pine and may be available at a supplier in your area.

Gary

paco
11-28-2008, 12:35 PM
My investigation reveal that LDF is about 15-20% lighter than MDF while Trupan appear to be 40% lighter.

Many (most?) big iron around use MDF with monster vacuum pump. When you look at the vacuum gage of those setup with only the MDF spoilboard being suck through (no material over), the gage generally read 8-12 inches of Hg! That's on a pump that most often can pull 15-20 inches of Hg. In other words, a good share (if not most in case of small capacity pump) of the vacuum holding capacity use use to hold the spoilboard only.

I suggested to the local suppliers of sheet good material to discuss about the Trupan to CNC router operators to see if they could reconsider importing Trupan for the spoilboard only purpose. Considering the number of CNC tools in just Québec, they could, I believe, sell bundles on regular basis. One problem could be the size offered for the Trupan... many CNC routers machines are 5'X10' and up while Trupan, from what I know, is only offered in 4'X8' format.

rb99
11-28-2008, 01:25 PM
About the size thing...I have a 5 x 10 table and I was planning to use quadrants so I would cut the sheets to fit the table and the quadrants. I was planning to seal them with the vacuum tape I read about.

How much is it a sheet?

RB

scottbot
11-29-2008, 01:27 AM
Hi Richard,
I can't remember exactly but I think I paid about $40 for a 4 x 8 sheet of 3/4".

I don't know how the ultra light compares to trupan because I've never tried trupan. I do know that I'm on my second sheet of ultra light and I am pretty happy with its performance as a spoil board.
I am using 2 Feins as a vacuum source.

Scott

david_gregas
01-04-2009, 10:31 AM
Hey Richard, I'm in Toronto and have been using the MDF sold at The Home Depot, it is different than the stuff from Commonwealth. I have a 4X8 bot and cut cabinet parts using a single fein for vacuum with no issues.

rb99
01-15-2009, 06:01 PM
Thanks. I would really like to get something that is stamped Trupan. Thant way I will be sure I am getting maximum vacuum with that setup.

RB

mjindustry
01-24-2009, 01:09 PM
Does anyone know if the Light Weight MDF is Formaldehyde free, or does it have to be labeled Trupan?