PDA

View Full Version : Newbie cutting tool question

chri
10-19-2009, 03:53 AM
This is probably a numbskull question, but can anyone tell me if there is some special sort of bit for putting a round or chamfer around a large wooden (or other) panel using a CNC router? It seems as if one would need get the panel extremely perfectly level, or the chamfer will be uneven, since the tool does not sit on top of the panel as it does with a handheld router.

I hope I've made my question clear enough... any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

adrianm
10-19-2009, 04:06 AM
No special bit, the same one you would use with a handheld router or table generally.

You just have to make sure that the panel (and the machine surface) is flat and well held down otherwise you will, as you suspect, get an uneven finish.

It's not really a problem in reality though, the panels I've edged on my CNC machine are about the same quality as those done on a good router table and a lot better than those I've done by hand.

chri
10-19-2009, 12:26 PM
Thanks Adrian. This helps!

marymn
12-01-2009, 08:06 AM
I use laser Cutter.
using a CNC machine doesn't give you a finished look ..
then how do you managed to get a clear cut.

bcammack
12-01-2009, 09:47 AM
"mary",
ssssppppppaaaaaammmmmmmm!

I want to see you bull-nose a piece of mahogany with a laser...

Chris,

Edge the material face-down. That way, if there are any irregularities in the material thickness, it doesn't effect the transition on the most visible side of the piece.