PDA

View Full Version : How about a pneumatic router?

ssanda@nvbell.net
01-19-2001, 11:13 PM
I just got a catalog that has a air router. I guess one would have to worry about running out of air, huh? Anyone tried one and what kind of a compressor would you need to supply continuous air?
I guess someone really sharp could rig a pause action for the shopbot while the air tank is recharging.
An air router would probably help with the noise issue. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Rick

alton
01-20-2001, 03:39 AM
My concern would be the use of the air tool oil.
That might contact your work material.
Most tools require oiling daily for frequent use.
But who does? (it really needs it)

My other concern would be electrical effiency?
Does anyone out there know which would be more efficinet?

It does sound like an interesting alternative.
?Who has it?

Alton

srwtlc
01-20-2001, 10:19 AM
Having been a diesel and heavy equipment mechanic for 8+ years before starting woodworking, my ears will attest to the fact that pneumatic tools are quite noisy also. A lot of tools from what I remember (impact wrenches, drills, etc.) were rated at 90-100psi and I'm not sure but I think around 9-10cfm. I have a 3hp-20gal 2cyl Puma compressor and my impact wrench will do about one set of lug nuts and I have to wait for it to recharge. A router, running constantly, I would think, would take a pretty good size compressor.

birdsofplay
01-20-2001, 10:34 AM
I've visited local Amish woodshops.
They use a huge Detroit Deisel running a massive jackshaft to power both air and oil driven planers and saws.

Efficiency for that size of operation is probably good for them, but of course their "agenda" is different in the first place.

I am always "Taken Back" by the LP gas powered LAMPS in their office and amused by the DieHard powered calculator on the desk.

If you're in Califorina and experiencing Rolling Blackouts you might just consider getting a Buggy, Suspenders, a Black Hat and an "Alternatively powered shop.

Robin
01-20-2001, 04:55 PM
Pneumatic routers/spindles are a standard unit on small cnc table top machine centers. They are much quieter than regular routers but also much smaller, run at 30,000+rpm, use small air supplies, and use bits measured in the thousandths. I've not seen larger models.

Gerald D
01-21-2001, 01:39 AM
Robin, I would guess you are talking about the equivalent of a dentist's drill? I would hate that noise going in my shop - too many painful memories!

Robin
01-21-2001, 03:07 AM
Not really a dentist's drill, not as high pitched or shrill as that. I once did a few hours of cad work while sitting in a room with a desktop mill running 12 feet away behind a hollow core door ... I wasn't wearing ear protection and could actually think! It was cutting a high density plastic, maybe cutting metal would have been louder. I do remember thinking that the entire machine could easily be covered by a "dome of silence".

Has anyone tried building a soundproofed room within a room for their bot?

dan@burningimpressions.ca
01-21-2001, 07:44 PM
I just finished a "semi" soundproof office in my
shop, and I put a sliding window right next to the
"bot" I couldn't stand the noise, now I can answer
the phone at least..