PDA

View Full Version : .ptn files

wilson7
04-01-2007, 09:27 PM
Has anyone been able to convert a compu carve file with an extension of .ptn into a shopbot file? I have a compu carve with many projects already created and would like to share between the two machines.

menewfy
05-16-2007, 03:44 PM
I wonder if james booth can shed some light on this topic, I am in the same spot had a cc and now picking up a shopbot.

even if he offered this service at a price considering he offers both file types from his site now.

just a thought

paco
05-16-2007, 04:21 PM
I know of one guy that contacted me and he had bought *.v3m and need to use something else than Vector Art Machinist. I think he bought the model again on another file type.

Maybe one should get all the file types in a single package when buying models.

Even though *.stl is generic, it can't be used by some software; it need to be convert.

I'm not speaking for my own here (I use *.stl) but it think it's a good point.

You post here but have you got in touch with Vector Art 3D about it?

jamesb
05-16-2007, 05:17 PM
We are not able to offer a service to convert a CarveWright ptn to any other format. When we were given the code to create a PTN file it was done so on the understanding that we would use it just to provide our models in that format.

On the second point of file formats from Vector Art 3D. The main reason we do not offer multiple formats for one purchase is the admin of delivery - both for filesize and the technical changes that we would need. Typically this has not been a problem for customers as for most they choose the format which works best for the software they have. As the PTN format is proprietary to the CW machine then we may need to look at this. For the moment though you would need to choose the format which will be most useful.

Thanks, James

menewfy
05-16-2007, 07:31 PM
thanks for the quick reply James and paco.

I understand what you are saying about the ptn file and had not thought of it that way thanks so much for explaining it to us.

Tim