PDA

View Full Version : Tabs and Chatter

richards
12-14-2005, 03:28 PM
Yesterday, I downloaded Bill Young's Workstation from Shopbot's download area. The original purpose was to see how Bill's use of limited tabs worked. (I'm one of those dummies that hadn't read the tabbing documentation - meaning that I didn't know you could insert a single tab in a cut file.)

The tabbing worked great! Not one piece broke loose.

A side benefit was that the cuts seemed to be smoother. There was almost a complete absence of 'chatter'. Keeping the whole 4x8 foot sheet of plywood attached by tabs must have kept each piece from vibrating. In any case, I cut a second sheet with the same results.

The conclusion that I've reached is that using tabs, even on fairly large pieces, will give a better (smoother) cut.

By the way, many thanks to Bill Young for sharing his design. The design, with its snap-together assembly and wedges makes a very nice workstation.

Another project that I do every year around Christmas is to make plaques with Christmas sayings. Last week I received a sample from All*Star adhesives of their CR 16 38 gasketing. Using the All*Star gasketing, instead of the weather-stripping material from Home Depot, produced plaques with notably crisper lettering. Michael Murphy, from All*Star, told me that I would get less of the 'jello effect' if I used their gasketing material. He was right.

bill.young
12-16-2005, 10:32 AM
Hey Mike,

Thanks..glad you liked it.

Andy Newcomb of Express Sign Works did a neat bookcase using the same joinery that's available on the Project Wizard site. You can also download some drawings and info on that joinery to use in your own designs from the Project Wizard as well...just look for "Open Source Joinery" in the Plans section.

Bill