PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Plenum

shawn394
11-06-2005, 08:46 PM
Well I finally got all the problems worked out (four new cables and a new control board), and am ready to start cutting. I am going to cut out the plenum for the vacuum from 3/4" MDF with the 1/2" straight bit from ShopBot. What feed rate should/can I use to do this? Also what RPM should I use with the 5HP Colombo? Any help would be great. Thanks Shawn

richards
11-06-2005, 10:38 PM
Before cutting anything important, why not experiment a little with material either clamped or screwed to the table. It really helped me get a feel for the machine when I first got my shopbot.

But, to answer your question, if you want an average chip load of 0.015 for MDF (which is what I use), and you have a single flute cutter, you might start with about 3.25 ips at 13,000 RPM. If your cutter has two flutes, you simply double the feed rate to 6.5 ips and stay at 13,000. Those settings are my standard settings with 3/8-inch cutters. (Increasing the RPM to 16,000 gives you 4-ips, single flute, and 8-ips two flute.)

baxter
11-19-2005, 02:31 PM
Hello, Anyone

I am a first time user of the machine and the info Richard is suggesting is helpfull.

My question is what overlap do I use with a 1.25 surfacing bit? I am surfacing the table for the first time and alittle nervous. The speed and feed listed on Richards Nov 06 coment is what I will probably use. I have a 3hp colombo. I was thinking 1/3rd of the bit diamiter or .0375 which is 30% of the bit diamiter.

Does this sound accaptable? I hate to ask this question because I know the answer is in the machine and in the manual but I just have not found it yet.

Any suggestions Joel aka Baxter

marshawk
11-19-2005, 05:44 PM
Joel,

1/3 should be fine. You may be able to go even less. My suggestion is to try in on a throw-away piece before you do the real thing.

Cheers!

Chip

baxter
11-19-2005, 11:06 PM
Chip,

Thanks very much for the suggestion. I will try that. However, I have a embarrassing question to ask. After following the directions on the machine set up and reading the directions and looking all thru the manual I realized.....I do not know how to turn the spindle on....(go ahead and laugh)...I know it is something simple but I don't know what it is. To begin with I have a Clombo 3hp spindle. I have a feeling I do not have the control pad in the right mode because when I hit the run button nothing happens. Do you know what I need to do??

As a beginner I have a general understanding of all the operating sequences but have not locked them into the proper working order yet. I will have a few more silly questions after this one.

Thanks for your help

Joel

drodda
11-20-2005, 12:27 AM
On a spindle do you have to turn on the #1 output also like on the PC? S+O+1 enter just a thought? Don't be embarassed to as a question. We have all been there before.

baxter
11-20-2005, 09:36 AM
Dave, Thanks for the response,

When I go to the #1 output on the pc and toggle it to the on position as the manual suggests a light blue light shows up instead of a green light as the manual says is suppose to happen. What does that mean???? As far as asking questions....If I do not ask I won't get anywhere. So I will keep asking Thanks for the support. I just can not believe all the support being a shopbotter is great.

Thanks Joel

drodda
11-20-2005, 09:57 AM
My output is light blue also when toggled on. So I think that is just fine. I was hoping that someone with a spindle would come to my aid on this one as I have a PC 7518 on mine. I have used a spindle on anothers shopbot but am not familiar enough with it to troubleshoot your issue much more. When I first played with my new shopbot it took me a while to figure out why the router would not turn on. You either have to be in a cutting file and then it asks you to turn on the router after the output #1 is set to on. Or you have to be in the keyboard controls. then the router will turn on also. This really took me a while to figure out. So make sure that you have all the proper outputs on and that your in the keyboard control or a file running and then you should be able to start your spindle.

richards
11-20-2005, 11:00 AM
There are two methods that I use to turn on my spindle.

The first method is to click on the keyboard icon and then toggle output number 1 to the 'ON' position. After turning output number 1 ON, I push the start button to start the spindle. That is the method I use to warm up the spindle before use every day.

The other method is to insert a line of code into the beginning of each program SO,1,1 - which means SET OUTPUT number 1 to the 1 (or ON) position. When the program reaches that line, it pops up a screen telling me to push the START button to continue. I push the start button and then wait a few seconds for the spindle to reach speed. At the end of the program, I add the line SO,1,0 - which means SET OUTPUT number 1 to the 0 (or OFF) position.

Here is a sample of the code that I use in my programs:

' sample.sbp
START:
GOSUB INIT
GOSUB CUT
GOTO FINISH

INIT:
SA
JZ, 1.0
J2, 0.0, 0.0
SO, 1,1 'Turn spindle on
RETURN

CUT:
' tool path code goes here
'
'
RETURN

FINISH:
JZ, 1.0
SO, 1,0 'Turn spindle off
J2, 0.0, 0.0
END
'
' End of file

baxter
11-20-2005, 10:16 PM
Dave and Mike

Thank-You very much for both of your suggestions
on how to start the spindle. I will let you know.

Thanks Again

gerald_d
11-21-2005, 09:04 AM
To start the spindle, wind some rope around it and pull hard........no?

baxter
11-21-2005, 10:44 AM
Hey Gerald,

I tried that and all it did was spit and sputter.

Thanks

gerald_d
11-21-2005, 11:58 AM
You pulled out the choke too far and flooded it.

baxter
11-21-2005, 01:54 PM
Gerald,

I can't find the on button.....where is the choke?

gerald_d
11-21-2005, 03:31 PM
You must have a diesel spindle - spray some ether at the fan inlet.

baxter
11-21-2005, 04:49 PM
Gerald,

Instead of ether I thought I would install a
glo-plug.

gerald_d
11-22-2005, 12:18 AM

gene
11-22-2005, 06:29 PM
Diesel Spindles are usually hard to crank in cold weather . Maybe you need to put a heater under it at night . Gene

gene
11-22-2005, 06:33 PM
By the way , can you carve a turkey on a shopbot ? i have sliced and diced a few things but i dont know about a turkey? Gene

baxter
11-24-2005, 02:22 PM
Dave and Mike,

SUCCESS!!!!! I am up and running. Thank-You very much for the help. My mistake was as stupid as I expected it to be. I was not hitting the start button on the control box. I kept trying to hit the run button on the spindle panel. I knew I was close. Anyway know I need to study the manual and set the spindle to get the rpm correct. Gene I am sure you can carve a turkey with the shopbot but you need a stainless steel bit.

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP AND HAPPY THANKSGIVING

JOEL

gene
11-24-2005, 05:10 PM
I tried it and the vacumn system sucked all the juice from it it was so dry the dog won't eat it.
Happy Thanksgiving Gene