PDA

View Full Version : Extend Y Axis of Bench-top PRT

gbatten
07-27-2003, 01:36 PM
I have a Bench-top PRT which has a cutting area of 32" (X) by 28" (Y). I am considering extending the Y carriage angle iron and support components enough to provide 48" of cut (Y axis only).

Has anyone done this already, or tried it? Any advise or suggestions?

Yes, I am aware of the stiffness issues and will try to adequately support the extended "track" pieces.

For those not familiar with the Bench-top machine, the gantry only moves in the X direction, and the table moves in the Y direction. An increased table size means more weight due to structural components and more weight due to a larger work piece. I have not yet calculated the weight increase, but I think it might not be much more than the total weight of a PRT-96 gantry assembly that moves in X and Y directions.

To complete this modification I will need a few pieces of the square tubing, longer pieces of the 2" x 1.5" angle iron, and a longer piece of the rack that is driven by the stepper motor. I will also widen my wooden support table to provide additional support for the longer parts.

So,... what do you think? Am I crazy? About to make a mess? It won't be the first time. Comments welcome. By the way, I have a background in mechanical engineering and design which should help but might just make me over confident.

...Gene

Brad Graves
11-13-2003, 11:39 AM
Instead of piecing the rack and rails, I would recommend buying a new piece that would be long enough for the extra length. The biggest problem will be keeping your new pieces level and straight with the existing items.

Good Luck,

Brad