PDA

View Full Version : 4G Upgrade + laundry detergent = better aluminum cutting!

jeffreymcgrew
03-18-2007, 01:34 PM
Hey all. Just cut some more 6061 1/4" aluminum for a friend the other night, and man it went smooth. Last time we did it we had a lot of problems with the aluminum loading up on the bit, chatter, vibration... it was rough. This time, no problems, smoother edges, and easy cutting. The only differences were the 4G upgrade, which I think made for smoother cuts and more force to the steppers, and using a fair amount of liquid laundry detergent for the 'soap' of our soapy water we sprayed on the sheet and the bit to keep it cool. Y'all might already know this, but cheap laundry detergent worked way better for us. It's slick yet it stays around better.

aaasigncom
03-23-2007, 10:45 PM
FOR CUTTING ALUMINUM I USE A MISTER WITH 80% ALCOHOL AND 20% WATER WITH A FEW DROPS OF DISH SOAP. THERE IS A LITTLE SUDSING INVOLVED WHICH STAYS AROUND THE BIT A LITTLE BETTER. WITH THE ALCOHOL, THE AREA IS DRY BY THE TIME THE MACHINE IS CUTTING ON THE OPPOSITE END OF THE TABLE. I WAS CUTTING .080 ALUMINUM IN ONE PASS USING AN ONSRUD .25 2 SIDED CUTTER O FLUTE. REAL NICE LARGE CURLED CHIPS AND A SMOOTH CUT USING CLIMB MILLING. THE MATERIAL WAS 45 DEGREES AND THE BIT TIP LASERED AT 56 DEGREES WITH THE COOLING and LUBRICATION