PDA

View Full Version : Cuting 3d vector?

kamen
05-26-2008, 05:07 PM
Hi

Is it posible to generate toolpath over 3d vector, with some CAM soft, with SB postprocessor?

dana_swift
05-26-2008, 05:13 PM
Can you be more specific? The answer is almost certainly yes. What have you done before? What software do you use now?

D

kamen
05-30-2008, 08:07 AM
Hi

I'm useing Artcam pro 8, mostly for relief cutting

It works fine for releafs, but i need to cut along single 3d vector.
Artcam cuts Area Under selected vectors, not single vector.

Actually I want to cut 3d contour,like Edge of a skateboard.

Thanks
Kamen

dana_swift
05-30-2008, 01:38 PM
I handle that by using a tool path generator I wrote myself. Its easy to do if you are willing to work with Basic, C#, or as another poster suggested- Excel. Basic and C# are free of charge, so that makes the effort slightly more attractive.

The bot can do any 3d shape I have thrown at it. The commercial software is really great if you have an application that is within the imagination of the folks who wrote it.

By writing my own, I can do "undercuts", and find the shortest air path between where the tool is and where it needs to go, not just blindly pull up to "safe z" each time. With most cut files it only saves 5% of the time, but after a year of cutting its like getting an extra day or two to make money. Not only that I saved the 6 thousand or so for artcam.

Do you have a spline definition of what you want to cut? If so writing a tool path generator that follows the spline is very easy to do.

D

bleeth
05-30-2008, 02:07 PM
Kamen: In toolpaths look at the 2-d toolpaths. The icon that looks like a bit going in a circle is "Cut along vector" If your profile is all on top of the part and your bit can plunge then you can just use that for the toolpath. If you need to undercut you can join another vector as a lead in tail and start the cut from there and have another to end so you pull out off your piece.
You can offset the vector defining the edge of your piece with a new vector to have your tool cut along the new vector that will put the center of the tool where you want it.

kamen
06-09-2008, 04:30 AM
Hi
Here is the example of vector I need to cut.
If its possible I prefer to use software product for toolpath generation.
I modify every Artcam program for minimazing air cuts, but I'm not too experienced to wright programs by myself.

Thanks
Kamen

bleeth
06-09-2008, 05:51 PM
Kamen: To do an edge profile on this piece I would use seperate cuts for the top and the bottom. You can offset the vector as described above and cut the top one and then flip your part onto a jig to do the bottom, which you have to do anyway to mill the underside.

bleeth
06-09-2008, 06:35 PM
Kamen: Too late to edit above so here is result of some more thought on this. Let's say that you have decided to put a 3/8" roundover on the top and bottom edge of this piece after you have created them in Artcam and let's further assume it is a 3/4" thick piece. After you have the relief parts done offset your edge vector 3/8" on both sides. Using Shape editor select the two new vectors and subtract a 3/8" flat section. To machine set up a endmill with a diameter of 3/4" and cut to a 3/8" depth. Use a 3/8" plunging roundover in the spindle instead of the programmed 3/4" endmill and you will cut your roundover.
If it is easier for you to think in metric than substitute 18mm for 3/4 and 9mm for 3/8

cncman11
01-02-2009, 10:11 PM
Hello, I am new to posting but I have a question. I have an older PRT purchased in 2000. I am still using it in DOS because it works so well and the computer boots in 30 sec. My question is: If I write a VB program that moves the bit (and cut) in 3 axes, will the controller handle that? I want to do a little more with 3d and I don't want to learn a big 3d program. Thanks.
Brett

don
01-03-2009, 02:17 AM
Kamen,
Yes you can create a round over on a 3d profile with software, I didn't have any dimensions to go with. So I just created something close to your shape.
I did this in Vectric's new Aspire.