PDA

View Full Version : Climb Cut Technique in ArtcamPro

jim_hoffman
05-21-2006, 12:58 PM
I'm trying to route a line art file and have the bit pull out on an angle as it enters and leaves the cut. This is just simple curves... no filled or closed objects. What toolpath should I select that has climb cut options? TIA Jim

Brady Watson
05-21-2006, 07:04 PM
Jim,
I think that you might be talking about 2 things...Climb milling refers to the tool climbing on the edge of your part. Climbing an outside profile is accomplished by moving the X/Y axes in a clockwise direction. Conventional milling is done the majority of the time and the tool moves counter-clockwise.

In terms of getting the type of finish you are after, I would select the single live vectors that you want to have ease out of the material, and offset them. When you choose the offset tool, it will give you the option for 'Both'. This will completely offset the vector that you have selected on both sides and close it for you. Now you have a closed vector(s) that you can use with a v-carve toolpath. You will want to play with the offset distance and v-angles to get the look you want. You will have to use a v-bit or ball end mill with v-carving.

If you are using just straight lines with no curves, you could easily program this yourself using a text editor, some coffee and your thinking cap.

Hope that helps!
-Brady

jim_hoffman
05-21-2006, 10:01 PM
Thanks Brady,

Just figured out the offset tool with "both"... Works perfect!

I appreciate your help,

Jim