PDA

View Full Version : Actual workable dimensions of 48"x96" table?

sascha
01-26-2001, 11:23 PM
I am curious. Those of you with 4'x8' machines...is that entire area accessible by the machine, or are you limited to a little less than 48'x96".

I ordered a 5'x10' tool and table from SB. My max usable X & Y axis dimensions are 116" and 58 3/4". Technically, my X axis could go longer, but it would then be unsupported underneath. My Y axis is limited because of mechanical interference.

Sascha

davenadeau
01-29-2001, 01:00 PM
Sascha,
The final cuttable area of a 4' x 8' machine is usually about 49" by at least 98" or better depending on how the tool was assembled/setup by the user. The placement of the mechanical stop bolts can limit travel if placed too far in from the rail ends. With a typical PRT configuration you may be able to relocate the stops to gain additional travel. Support could then be provided, if necessary, with larger material.

sascha
01-29-2001, 09:35 PM
David

Thank you for your information.

I did not install the manual stop blocks.

I am using the proximity switches which work well. Should the limit switches fail, I will run out of gearing "rack" before it goes off the deep end ("X" axis only).

The "Y" axis is a different story. I am using the full physical limitations. If I move the "Y" to the zero direction, the pull down wheels will come in contact with the "Y" carriages horizontal brace (running parallel to "X" axis). Moving it to the positive end, only runs it into the angle bracket which supports the plastic flexible cable harness. Repositioning the flexible cable harness is really not an option, as it already flatens out quit a bit.

Due to these physical limitations, my X and Y are safely limited to 116" x 58 3/4". I have about 1/2" safety on each end of the "Y" axis before interference.

It is correct, that the "X" axis will go the full 120" with additional bracing.

Sascha