PDA

View Full Version : USB cable

duster91
01-22-2008, 05:54 PM
Is it possible to put your computer at a distance of 26 feet away from the shopbot controler without any problem.If ther is away to do it could someone let me know.

aaasigncom
01-22-2008, 09:15 PM
yes but don't use a cheap one - there is a difference between cheap and good cables

Gary Campbell
01-22-2008, 09:40 PM
Charlie....
Keep the computer close to the control box. If you need to move your Keyboard, monitor and mouse, use a KVM cable.. you can get a 30' version. They are also called 3 in 1 or 4 in 1 as the one I just got. It is an all in one Extension cable (not a switch cable) that extends the VGA, Keyboard, Mouse and sound, as I use the monitor speakers.
Gary

knight_toolworks
01-22-2008, 11:02 PM
if you use a powered usb hub in the middle it may work. but having your computer that far away will be a pain no matter what. you will end up running back and forth all the time.

myxpykalix
01-22-2008, 11:37 PM
I have the emergency stop located by the table and found by using it I lost all settings when i had to hit the button but by hitting the spacebar in an emergency I just stopped it but didn't lose my settings. I think you are asking for trouble having the controls that far away.

stargategfx
03-06-2008, 01:02 PM
I use a powered USB hub.
I also use a PC with dual monitor support, I bought a cheap LCD sreen that is in a window between the computer room and the router room.
This, along with a wireless keyboard and mouse allow me to work up the files in a clean environment, or to use the keyboard in the router room as a remote control for the Shopbot.
Been running two Shopbots this way for several years, works beautifully!

john_l
02-01-2009, 09:53 AM
I know this is an older post but could you explain this setup in more detail for me Boyd? I dont understand. Thx.

stargategfx
02-01-2009, 11:56 AM
John, the USB hubs that I use on both of mt Shopbots came with a fairly long cable already attached to them, this gets plugged into the back of the computer.
The USB/serial cable that came with the Shopbot connects to the USB hub and the other end to the Shopbot control box.
The combination of the two cables is around twenty feet.
I just drilled a hole in the wall between the clean-room and the workshop to run the cable through.
The powered USB hub acts as a signal booster.
I've been using this setup for several years now and it works flawlessly.
Just remember to protect the cable from people snagging or tripping over it if you run it along the floor like I did.
I ended up building a hollowed out "speed bump" to protect the cable and stuck it to the concrete floor with double sided tape.
If you were asking about the wireless keyboard...
it's the only way to fly!
Just be sure to mount the wireless reciever module in a location that can be "seen" from both the Shopbot and the computer.
The wireless setup has saved us miles of walking to and from the computer!
Hope this helps. - Boyd