PDA

View Full Version : 12" indexer table

elijah
10-09-2006, 01:06 PM
ShopBot suggests to rise the table sides by 6" (to add aditional table sides) to get the required clearnace for 12" indexer. But the down side is, that such type of modification creates more flex when cutting flat stock. Also, I think carving can be not as precise. Or maybe everything depends on the cut speed - if to set lower feed, cut speed, then maybe it should work fine? Has anybody did the table modification for 12" indexer according to ShopBot? Thank you.

wayneo
10-09-2006, 07:20 PM
Yes, I have the Extended SB Steel table that they built especially for my 12" Z-axis. It amounts to the standard steel table 48x96 with an extra C-channel on each side (the length of the X-axis).

I wanted the extra Z-axis length to do larger models and larger indexer pieces. I currently have my indexer mounted along the side (X-axis), but plan to move it down to the flat portion of the table so it is mounted upright instead of sideways. I want to mount the indexer on a longer piece so it will accomodate a full 8' length. I will have to modify the mounts for the headstock and tailstock to raise them up. I think I can probably turn a 14" piece this way.

I had a 4'x8' piece of birch plywood mounted on 2x4's on edge and screwed to the steel L support beams. On top of that I have two pieces of 3/4" particle board for my table and spoilboard. This raises up the flat part of the table and shortens the effective Z-axis length for cutting most flat projects. You have to watch the 12" lever arm with the extended Z-axis compared with the normal 6" lever arm.

I have since cut of 12" from the raised table and reconfigured it so it could easily be added or removed depending on what project I am doing. This also was done so that I could move my indexer down flat and have more capacity.

This setup has worked out very well for me, although I have not moved my indexer down yet (no time).

Effectively, what I have done is similar to those folks that have built their own table with a dogleg (lowered) section builtin. I believe what I have has resulted in a much stronger (and heavier) table because of the double C-section along both X-axis. The 12" Z-axis gives me much greater (double) clearance and capacity when needed. And the raised table gives me about the same Z-axis rigidity as the folks with the 6" Z-axis. I have the removable section of the raised table so I can mount the indexer on the flat steel L members, or replace the removable section quite easily and quickly for a full 4'x8' sheet to be cut.

The modification was quite easy. If you need to do this to a machine you already have, you just need to purchase the additional C-Sections and do a lot of hole drilling..............

Wayneo

elijah
10-10-2006, 04:07 AM
Wayne,

Thanks for your post. It would be very usefull to see the photos of your table for better understanding of your solutions

Thanks.
Elijah

elijah
10-10-2006, 04:16 AM
Wayne,

I also would mount the indexer along the table in order to use all length of the spindle travel along the table.
The concern is, that in case when table surface is lowered by 6", for the flat work the spindle must go down lower than in case with standard hight of the table surface. And it should create additional flexibility in the tool (not in the table). So, It may affect the accuracy of the carving or cutting. And I am planning to do hardwood carving, so I really wouldn't like to get such unwanted negative effect in setup of my tool. Hope you understand what I mean?

scottcox
10-10-2006, 11:20 AM
Elijah,

Be sure to search through the forum and check out the various pictures of different tables. After seeing them all, I decided to build a table (for a 5x10ft alpha) with a trough on one side along the x-axis. This trough houses my 12" indexer, allows me to do 16" diameter turnings, and still gives me a 4ft flat section of Y-axis travel for sheet goods.

As said in other threads on the forum, I would beef up the cross-members a bit if I were to do it again.

wayneo
10-10-2006, 11:59 AM
Elijah,
Scott's diagram shows something very similar to what I did, except that instead of making the dog leg cross support members, I just built a removable raised table. My table is only for cutting 48"x96".

Where Scott's diagram shows the C-channel sections (one on each side) I actually have 2 on each side stacked one on top of the other. This is what gives the table the extra 6" height. It makes for a very stiff (rigid) table, but heavy.........

I will have to wait until after work tonight to try my hand at taking some pictures.

Wayneo

elijah
10-10-2006, 05:38 PM
Scott,
Thanks for your table plan.
I think I will not dair to make my own table. At least first time, I will take ShopBot table.

Wayne,
I was thinking about the table similar like yours. As far as I understood, you have removable table (working surface, I suppose). When you want to work with indexer, you just remove the table? And after that vice versa - you put table back? How you ensure that each time your table is in proper level and you don't need to surface the spoil board? Thanks.