PDA

View Full Version : How Fast Can I cut .080 Aluminum??

tim_whitcher
05-27-2005, 09:57 AM
I'm currently cutting .080 aluminum using a 3/16" HSS spiral bit, spindle speed at 16,000, feed rate at 15" per min. Is there a better bit/spindle speed/feed rate combination? Dry, I get light burring, with misting, a clean cut. I'd like to run twice as fast with no misting, if possible.

joe
05-29-2005, 09:49 AM
Tim,

I not the best to answer this question as to the speeds, but I can address the cooling problem.

We purchased a vortex tube a couple of years ago and it's very easy to use and effective as a spot cooler. It produces Ice Cold Air, right on the bit. The unit is made by Arizona Vortex. It comes with a large magnet, which easily attached to the carriage, along with flexable hose. The cost is $130.

www.arizonavortex

Joe

tim_whitcher
05-29-2005, 11:41 PM
I'll look into that, Joe. Thanks.
Anyone have any luck running at a higher feed rate (different bit or spindle speed combination)?

tim_whitcher
06-05-2005, 12:35 AM
Bump. Anyone have a better bit/rpm/feedrate to cut .080 aluminum faster? Thanks!

Brady Watson
06-05-2005, 08:18 AM
Tim,
You are cutting too slowly. Use a spiral upcut carbide bit, and try 60 IPM. AL is deceiving...it sounds all wrong when you go to cut it. If you are getting 'smearing' on the top edge, you are not moving fast enough for that RPM. Remember that you want big chips no mattter what you are cutting.

Solid material hold down is just as critical. Since AL is so dense and thin, it is VERY important to keep it held down really well. Screws are probably the worst option since they tend to 'pock' the material and cause it to lift in the surrounding area. Vacuum is probably best.

-Brady

tim_whitcher
06-08-2005, 08:11 PM
Thanks, Brady. What size bit (how small can I go), and any brand that you'd reccomend? I've been using double sided masking tape, and it's worked so far.

Brady Watson
06-08-2005, 08:55 PM
I like OSG brand. They make several tools specifically for AL...particualrly their Blizzard series, which will cut .125" AL in a single pass with a .125" diameter bit.

If you are planning on cutting a bunch of this stuff, contact me offline. I am a dealer for OSG's line & will beat MSCs pricing (by quite a bit) on many different bits, when purchasing 10 or more pieces.

-Brady

lgibson
07-11-2005, 03:41 PM
where can you get a catalog for OSG?

Brady Watson
07-11-2005, 05:06 PM
Here (http://www.osgtool.com/)

I recommend the Blizzard line of tools.

-Brady