PDA

View Full Version : Holding material while cutting 3D slices

rcnewcomb
06-23-2009, 06:07 PM
For those that have sliced 3D designs, what are you doing to hold the material while cutting the slices? Does your vacuum hold even with the through-cuts? Are you using tabs? Spray adhesive?

Normally I don't do through-cuts with 3D work, but I have some projects coming up that will require it.

Brady Watson
06-23-2009, 10:23 PM
I often add a '3D tab' to the edges of the part that can easily be sanded down after machining. This is assuming that you have the software to add tabs to the model by adding a block to the edge of the part. It also assumes that your software allows you to define a vector machining boundary for the 3D toolpath.

Depending on the part and material, carpet tape works wonders. Some woods warp while machining & have a tendency to cup & then the tape fails...so keep this in mind. Otherwise, it works pretty well.

-B

joe
06-24-2009, 07:05 AM
Randall,

A few dabs of hot melt glue around the sides or bottom will work. The most common for us is "Great Stuff". It's the insulation foam in a can but you need the dispenser. Most hardware stores have it. That's the easiest, fastest and cleanest way for us.

Joe
www.normansignco.com (http://www.normansignco.com)