PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for feeds and speeds for PVC

kfitz
05-20-2008, 07:59 PM
I need suggestions for feeds and speeds for cutting 1" thick white PVC. I'll be cutting some 3/4" deep pockets with a 1/2" round nose, two-flute up-cut spiral. Through cuts will be with a 1/4" single flute up-cut spiral.

paco
05-20-2008, 11:53 PM
Intecel, Foamboard and alike?

-Mid to low RPM (13000-15000) with both cutters.

-Those pockets in two passes.

-Cut in 3 to 4 passes maximum with a final one removing a 0.015-0.025" allowance from the previous passes.

-If the shapes allow, up to 6"/sec. (not much more as 1/4"CED X 1(-1/4)"CEL cutter can flex (or snap) easily.

I happen to cut 1" Foamboard (pretty similar to Intecel without the hard surface) last week with a 1/4"CED X 1/"CEL 2 O-flutes straight edges in two passes (with the strategy described above) with very decent results... only issue was that the kerf was packed very tightly with chips. I was out of long spiral up O-flute which would have thrown the chips out...

Still, there's nothing like a small test to make sure all is fine before diving in...

kfitz
05-21-2008, 04:12 PM
Thanks Paco. This is plain white PVC like is used for pipe fittings, only in thick sheet form. Smells the same when cut too. I'll test your settings.

paco
05-21-2008, 04:26 PM
If it's not the expanded kinda stuff, you might want to make lighter passes... like with HDPE. I kinda doubt you can find solid PVC up to a inch thick; you sure it's PVC.

kfitz
05-21-2008, 05:25 PM
It is extremely solid (and heavy). Yes, I'm sure it's PVC. Here is where I got it:
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=USPlastic&category%5Fna me=115&product%5Fid=10041

sevendale
06-13-2008, 10:24 AM
Kevin and Paco, Thanks for the tip; I stumbled upon this post. I've got some PVC to cut also: it's getting to be common in high-end residential construction for exterior trim. It ignores rain, though it will bend in hot weather.
Cuts well but tends to fill its own kerf with hot sticky chips so I was going to ask about feeds and speeds!

billp
06-13-2008, 12:52 PM
Paco,
Mcmaster Carr stocks PVC up to 4"thick. I wouldn't want to try and lift it however....
I have been using 1" thick PVC for making pods/pucks for years, and when I do the vacuum hold down presentation at Camps I bring a few with me. You need at least 1"thick for the pods or else the vacuum fittings would be too thick to allow the pods to lay flat on the table top...

kfitz
06-13-2008, 08:18 PM
Rob,

If I remember correctly (should have written it down at the time), with my 1/2" round nose I ended up cutting at 3.5 ips and made three passes to cut 3/4" deep. Router speed was 2nd setting from the slowest (Porter Cable). Made pretty good chips until near the end, when it finally started gumming from built-up heat. I would also recommend ramping in instead of plunging. Mike; correct any of this if my memory is off...

kit
06-13-2008, 09:27 PM
Rob,
I cut a lot of PVC, because I'm a signmaker and it is one of the few materials I'm able to get locally. Most of the time you are going to want to "climb cut" PVC - this will keep any melded flakes on the scrap and not on the piece that you are cutting out - saves alot of cleanup. Also, if you are screwing into the PVC to hang somewhere, pre-rout horizontal slots instead of drilling holes. This will allow the PVC to expand and contract in the heat.

sevendale
06-17-2008, 12:34 PM
Hey Kevin, Kit, Thanks for the tips.
R