PDA

View Full Version : Biscuit Slots

bakerkr
04-18-2007, 12:11 PM
Is it possible to create a biscuit slot with a shopbot? If so, could someone point me in the right direction here.

Thanks,
Kevin

hines
04-18-2007, 01:27 PM
Kevin, you would use a slot cutter like one of these:

http://pricecutter.com/search.asp?ss=slot+cutter&x=0&y=0 (http://pricecutter.com/search.asp?ss=slot+cutter&x=0&y=0)

Then you would need to experiment with different sized oval toolpaths. Or just go and buy and $75-$100 biscuit jointer

jsfrost
04-18-2007, 01:39 PM
If the biscut slot is to be cut perpendicular to the table bed, the curve could be approched in stairsteps using Part Wizard or other 2D program. You would machine several overlapping slots of appropriate width all centered at the same point and getting sucessively shorter and deeper. Probably 8 slots would be enough. I ate the biscuits I had for lunch, but just guessing, a 1/8th bit might be suitable? Biscuits on the edge would be more difficult, but a slot cutting bit ramped in from off project could make the cut.

Something like AC Pro could do the same thing more ideally with less work.

myxpykalix
04-18-2007, 02:54 PM
Just the time it would take to make a toolchange is longer than the time it would take to cut a biscuit slot. Then you have toolpathing, wood alignment, ect. I have seen biscuit cutters for $29.00. Sometimes there are jobs that are just simpler and quicker off the bot. This is one of them.

jseiler
04-18-2007, 02:59 PM
having purchased a $29 biscuit cutter, I wouldn't do it again. The fence tends to drift no matter how tightly you tighten it. Get a PC, dewalt, freud or lamello and you'll be a much happier camper.

Anyone wanna buy a harbor fright biscuit cutter?

John

bakerkr
04-18-2007, 03:12 PM
Thanks all for the input, I kinda agree, I'll just use the biscuit jointer I have.

Kevin

srwtlc
04-19-2007, 10:33 AM
A properly set up and used biscuit joiner is the best, but in special situations, I have done something like this with a 0.125" bit.

Code is attached if you want to try it. 0,0 is at the center of the biscuit, so run on location in 2D offset. Add your own speed settings, spindle on/off, etc.

Biscuit Pocket

4993 (15.8 k)