PDA

View Full Version : Alupanel anyone?

paco
05-01-2007, 08:46 PM
Anybody cut that stuff? Aluminum "films" (0.011") with an dense black plastic (acetal?) core.

Tool type for this; does it burr with up cut or should I go with the straight cut? Does it end to de-laminate under cutting force?

Any tested feed and RPM?

I plan on to test with a 1 O-flute tool up cut at 14000 and say 2"/sec. with 2 pass (which mean 0.06" or so). I'll clamp my test (leftover) but I should be vacuum holding the full sheet.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Brady Watson
05-01-2007, 09:15 PM
Paco,
This is identical to another brand called DiBond. You need a single spiral O flute to get the results you are after (or v-bit for mitering corners to brake up a 90°) I've cut a bunch of this stuff using a single Onsrud spiral O 3/16" diameter. Works like a champ. You can pretty much just blow right thru it as long as the bit can keep up. Don't go too slow as this generates heat and the AL can pop off from the heat if you are not careful. Efficient vacuum is a must.

-B

jamesgilliam
05-01-2007, 10:31 PM
Brady, Thanks for the information on cutting. I have been looking for materials fo sign work and my supplier gave me a sample of the DiBond. Of course there is no way to hold it down, only 2" x 3".

Brady Watson
05-01-2007, 11:43 PM
James,
Carpet tape works wonders...

-B

paco
05-02-2007, 12:48 PM
Well, I got confident from Brady's post but I decided to go with my guts; I test the cut with an straight O flute rather than a spiral up. I had concerns about the AL burring on top. Since the kerf (0.25") is twice the depth of cut (and material thickness) I was quite confident that it wouldn't pack and re-weld.

The Straight O-fltue cut that stuff like butter and very cleanly, though it look like the scrap is even cleaner... the test was made in conventional cut. Climb cut "might" be slightly better...?

Brady Watson
05-02-2007, 01:07 PM
Paco,
That's right...you ALWAYS climb aluminum on a router. I should have mentioned that!

-B

paco
05-02-2007, 08:53 PM
Humm... actually the AL thin on each sides cut beautifully either in conventional or climb; I was referring to the plastic core. The scrap (climb cut) is cleaner than the part.

This as close as I can take a picture. 1/8" thick stock.

See, the top one is the part cut in conventional while the lower one is the scrap which was climb cut. Both cuts are good but the climb one as the plastic core cleaner. Like some material got thrown back at the edge and stick.

I used the 61-081 (1/4 CED, 3/8 CEL, straight edge O-flute) at 14 000 RPM and 2"/sec. with 1/8 stepdown (through cut) ramping in the cut. Man those short carbide bit are monster; I made an toolpath error with the home position and severely gouged a clamp (AL body)!

Did the up cut burred any more than that?

Brady Watson
05-02-2007, 09:23 PM
Hmm...I got really clean cuts using a single O flute. Not sure what you are doing differently. I ran it in conventional...then again, I was also running PRS motors, not 1:1 Alpha motors which may have something to do with edge quality.

-B

paco
05-02-2007, 10:45 PM
It's just more dirty in conventional, that's all.

Still, thanks! I more thing I can cut!

paco
06-30-2007, 04:25 PM
I've been cutting Alupanel letters with a 1/8"CED spiral up O-flue this week and I'm not 100% happy with the edge (more like 50%).

Too much chips that stick to the edge at the second pass. While it's easy to remove in the straight line and curves, it harder at the corners. I think this is related to the size of the cutter (1/8"CED) because I get clean edge with a 1/4"CED. I cut this material in climb cut. The toolpath using 1/8"CED was fed at 1.2"/sec. and 15000 RPM.

I'd like to improve my cut of this material with a 1/8"CED tool bit (for detail cut); anyone can help me?

Thanks!

Brady Watson
06-30-2007, 04:36 PM
Paco,
You might do better with a straight O-flute than a spiral. The angle of shear is much different.

-B

paco
06-30-2007, 05:06 PM
Brady,

can you cut that stuff with such small bit diameter than 1/8" with good result?

There is one thing that I haven't tried is to cut in a single pass (still with the 1/8"CED) but slow a feed and a RPM...

I'll try the straight edge... I just tend to prefer the spiral O in plastics as they kick back less (straight edge O flute in polycarbonate and acrylics can shake the Bot enough that it come in driver fault mode...)

One more thing, I've notice the plastic O-flutes tend to wear somewhat fast; should I go with a aluminum O-flute?

Brady Watson
06-30-2007, 06:41 PM
Paco,
I used a 2-flute 1/8" end mill to cut this stuff on a few times with good results (conventional). I've also used a 3/16" single spiral o-flute with good results as well. I've noticed that on some materials, the straight just shears better than the spiral. It must be the way it grabs the material in one fell swoop rather than shearing up the face of the cut on an angle. Try a 3/16" spiral-O if the 1/8" is too small. It's a great compromise between the 1/8 & 1/4 sizes.

In the past 2 years I've cut a lot of acrylic and my main goal is quilty of cut, not speed. I only step down .06-.10 per pass because the edge quality is SO much better than trying to monkey with chiploads and cut expensive (1") material in 2 or 3 passes. If you get great cuts off of the machine and it takes a little longer, you just have to charge for premium cuts...and change the way you think about the clientele you attract...as in, "I attract the best customers because I do the best work"

-B

PS - Did you adjust the V.Fil setting on your Alpha yet?

paco
06-30-2007, 07:38 PM
Hmmm... I haven't tried a 2 O-flutes bit yet... only single ones...

I have some 3/16 CED O-flute on their way to me... but I'm pretty @$$ retentive when it comes to reaching into corners of shapes (mostly letters)...

I pretty much have the same approach about cutting acrylics and polycarbonate. Finishing with a light allowance (0.01") to remove any stepdown marks.

I did try the V.Fil but got strange disconnect (hang) so I revert to default/factory settings... I'm not at all sure it's related but reverting solve the problem... maybe I should try it again over this long weekend (Canada day) on one of my personal projects... I'm about to order the geared motor upgrade but cannot decide if I need the Z axis to be upgraded as well...

I keep on charging more but they keep telling me I'm under the average hourly rate!?! Funny when one decide to try another shop and come back because of one (or more) of the following: more pricey, cannot handle anything else than DWG or DXF (about 40% of my one offs and sign customers complain about that one), no one offs, jobs time frame about 2-3 weeks (common too; I can deliver within the same day... if willing to pay!), HONESTY! Yeah, that last one surprised me every time they tell me; not because they're saying I'm honest and fair but that probably mean they had a bad experience elsewhere...

paco
07-04-2007, 10:35 PM

The 1/8" CED straight O-flute (1) improved the edge. Still not perfect but much less secondary cleanup. I'll be ordering some more shorter ones along with 2 flutes too.

Thanks Brady!

paco
10-13-2007, 03:10 PM

0.125" CED X 0.375" CEL 2 straight edges O-flutes (Onsrud 56-610) at 12 000 RPM and about 1.5"/sec feed in a single pass. Lead-in with a ramp-in, small tab (0.4" X 0.04") for final retention. Climb cut.

The above is about 1.5" tall from 3mm Alupanel straight off the machine (no clean up other than trimming the tab with a small flush trim router bit). The kerf get packed but doesn't stick and pop out when the part is removed from the scrap.

I would cut larger (less intricate) shapes at higher feed and RPM... probably with a larger tool diameter too... with the same tool geometry.