PDA

View Full Version : V' grooving

rossi7
02-12-2004, 09:32 AM
Would like to start v grooving some signfoam signs. Using RAMS Software with my prt96. Anyone has helful hints relating to what degree v bits work best to what letter heights etc. Any thing would be great

artisan
02-12-2004, 10:42 AM
Hi Matthew. You'll probably want to get some different bits like 120, 90, 60, and 45 degree bits. Most of my letters are done with a 90 degree bit....but the 60 degree bit is my second choice....epsecially for letters under 2 inches and fonts with lots of serifs or "flags" attached. It depends on the material, depth of carving and the font actually. Signfoam is outstanding and if you simply want to "V" carve, then you should have no trouble with a 90 degree bit. As you experiment, you will need the 60 degree, then the 45 and 120 much later. The 90 and 60 will do the majority of what you'll need....D

joe
02-24-2004, 09:43 PM
Matt,

We do quiet a bit of V Carving and must tell you that most of your work will work with a 90/45 degree bit. Darrell is right that you will probably need to get a wider bit 120 also.

Bits used for this purpose, have a special tip. While any V bit will work, they will not render the small deliclate lines often desired.

Gerber Scientific and Onsrud have the refined tools.

The choice of bit has to do with standing a few feet away and having a good look. This experience comes with a few trials. Don't worry too much about this deatail, it will come easily.

Joe

vcabinet
05-12-2004, 09:33 PM
could anybody give me info on arched letter v carving. I set it up in word and could not save in the correct file path to get to parts wizard. I also have turbo-cad and alibre design, Having trouble arching letters to save in dxf or other format. Thanks for any info. New user Gary

Paul Amos (Unregistered Guest)
05-13-2004, 07:10 AM
Hi Gary

To produce arched letters and save them in a dxf format
you could try Deskengrave from http://deskam.com/download.html, it is Free.

If you want to V carve the letters from the DXF file I think you will need something more than Part Wizard... such as Artcam or Enroute.

I beleive that the new Part Wizard version 2 has the ability to arch letters and V carve with a limited range of fonts.

I hope this helps

Paul

05-13-2004, 07:13 AM
Hi Gary

To produce arched letters and save them in a dxf format
you could try Deskengrave from http://deskam.com/download.html, it is Free.

If you want to V carve the letters from the DXF file I think you will need something more than Part Wizard... such as Artcam or Enroute.

I believe that the new Part Wizard version 2 has the ability to arch letters and V carve with a limited range of fonts.

I hope this helps

Paul

05-13-2004, 07:23 AM
DOH !!

vcabinet
05-13-2004, 08:29 PM
Paul, thanks for the help, I will download and give it a try.

Gary