PDA

View Full Version : Laminates

ghostcreek
09-09-2009, 01:40 PM
Got an idea in my head. I make cabinets and counters. Has anyone tried to do inlays with laminate like used on countertops (for a countertop)? I don't want to reinvent the wheel if anyone has tried it. thanks in advance for any ideas.

bcammack
09-09-2009, 03:52 PM
The local Subway sandwich store here has some round bar tables that have two different laminates on them, separated by a shallow "s" curve. There is a discernible joint between the two that can be felt when you run your finger across it.

That would be the principle issue, making a tight, level joint that doesn't draw the eye or reveal itself to the touch. I'm not exactly sure how I'd try to overcome it. I suppose you could route the cutout with a v-bit, face up and then cut out the inlay with the same v-bit face down.

jerry_stanek
09-09-2009, 04:14 PM
I don't think you will want to use a v cutter as it would leave an edge like a razer blade. I think you could cut it with the one piece on one side of the line and the other piece on the other side of the line.

bcammack
09-10-2009, 08:32 AM
True, but the result would be a lap joint that might give better opportunity to get a good, tight seam.

I don't even know for certain that all laminates are precisely the same thickness regardless of color/pattern. If they're not, the only path I see would be to pre-mount the laminate on a thin backer that would allow you to plane both parts to exactly the same thickness to get a tight, even joint between the pieces.

wberminio
09-10-2009, 08:57 AM
I've done inlayed plastic laminate in the past
(pre-Shopbot).
I used a brass adapter for my hand router and a template.This is no longer necessary with the Shopbot.

I used an 1/8" downcut bit.As long a the cuts are tight you should not have a issue. A v-bit will be problematic,as Jerry suggests.
The laminate will be the same thickness from same manufacturer,as long as you order the same thickness material.

Erminio

ghostcreek
09-10-2009, 11:27 AM
I was thinking of putting a backer on the laminate, then trying the inlay. I am worried about any seam showing or allowing moisture & dirt that might weaken it. Without a backer cutting it would raise issues of hold down. I am thinking of combining different manufactures products to get the looks I want. I am going to try an test run this weekend. The joint seems to be my biggest issue. I've made countertops for years, it was my wife who suggested this after seeing a wood floor done at a jobsite that had a pattern in it.