PDA

View Full Version : Seriously large cutters

rhfurniture
06-27-2007, 07:56 AM
Has anyone ever tried running seriously large tools in their spindle shopbot?

This one for cnc's will take 8mm serrated cutters and is spec'd to run at 7000-12000rpm.
I don't think power is an issue as my spindle shaper runs (larger) such things with 3hp at 6000 rpm no problem.
I am considering a spindle for my prt and the possibility of using this might affect what I get.

lto
06-27-2007, 09:58 AM
Unless this is an aluminum body tool I'm afraid the weight of the tool would be an issue. You definately want more than the three horse power columbo for this. Our 3 HP columbo does not have enough mass to handle the inherrant imbalance of a 1/2" single O-Flute cutter.

On the other hand; if you get this to work, it would open many possibilitys.

rhfurniture
06-28-2007, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the input.
I am thinking of a Fimec spindle with a size 90 body and an ER32 collet. I can see that more mass is needed as I suspect the blocks are made of steel. I would probably use a different block that holds the euro style cutters (curved back, 3 holes) and is 66mm diam, though I do like serrated back cutters, and a currently trying to get my tooling supplier to find a smaller block that uses 4mm thick serrated. I would also like a variable angle chamfer cutter of a similar size.