PDA

View Full Version : BIGGER CUT THAN TABLE LENGTH

fubrain
03-04-2005, 07:45 AM
Hello,
I was wondering what is the best procedure for cutting a piece longer than my table using part wizard. and does artcam have a better wat to do it. Right now I outline my sheet half the diameter of my cutter then cut to length, move second file to the nose of the first half of the file then cut the first half then move the second half to the length of the first cut ( very confusing to write!)Gerber softwear i could pull a cut line and the paneling will take place. ASny help would be great
THANKS

kerrazy
03-04-2005, 07:50 AM
With ArtCam Pro and or ProfileLab you can similarly to you Gerber Software tile your job. as for PartsWizard I do not think you can do it uless you set up some sort of a registration system on your table to line everything up, and start a second file.
Good Luck
Dale

ron brown
03-04-2005, 09:03 AM
I would use indexing points and good thinking. I have never seen software that actually handled parts, I want a copy if it does.

Ron

weslambe
03-04-2005, 09:15 AM
Bill Palumbo uses dowels in his 3-d work to line up the pieces that he does. He gave a talk on this at the Austin camp shopbot. Seems to me, like Ron just said, that you could do something similar. A couple of dowel holes through the material into the table surface?

Maybe Bill could help you.

fleinbach
03-04-2005, 09:32 AM
I have done this in the past when I had my PRT96
At the time I needed to cut some arcs out of 12' material. First I made a drawing of what I was going to cut. Then I made 2 copys of the drawing and drew a straight line thgrough both at the 8' position. Next I trimed one copy to the left of the line and trimed the second one to the right of the line. Then I slid the second one to the left so that the 12' line was at the 8' position. Next I made 2 cut files and positioned the the 12' sheet with the "0" edge at the "0" position on my table. I then ran the first cut file. When it ws finished I slid the 12' sheet so that the 12' edge was at the 8' position on my table and ran the second file. It worked flawlessly and realy didn't take that long to do.

billp
03-04-2005, 09:40 AM
Ross,
Not knowing exactly what your project is, I think that Frank has described the most logical solution. "Indexing" both your material, AND your cut file to the same position would (at least theoretically) mean you could cut parts of infinite length.
Of course this can get tricky when your part falls onto the "separation line". If that's the case you would want to change your indexing point to an area where you can safely make the transition (could be 36.635"for example...). programs such as Artcam Pro, Insignia, and Profile Lab have this facility built into them, but they too are subject to the limitations of your actual needs, and your physical part.
I use dowels to index 3D parts because I have to "stack"them in slices to achieve the same result vertically as well as horizontally. It doesn't sound to me that this is your current need...
P.S. In looking at my post, my computer clock says that it is 9:28, and the posting time says 9:40. is there a time warp today?

fleinbach
03-04-2005, 10:12 AM
Bill

I noticed the time descrepancy yesterday also.

mikejohn
03-04-2005, 10:44 AM
Bill, Frank
Check here (http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?tpc=312&post=21366#POST21366)
Nothing gets past him

........Mike

gerald_d
03-04-2005, 11:13 AM