PDA

View Full Version : Best Bits for Plywood, and HD Foam ???

eightwgt@aol.com
07-30-2003, 11:33 AM
If I am cutting patterns from 3/4" HD foam, whats the best bit type to use (with 3.25 Hp Router)

What about for cutting plywood, 1/2" and 3/4 " - I am talking about patterning or contouring.

What about 3-d cutting of HD Foam ???

Thanks guys !!!!

artisan
07-30-2003, 12:27 PM
Tom, I cut a LOT of HDU (High Density Urethane). With the exception of the irritating dust (use protection), there may be no better material to cut on a Bot. I assume by "patterning" you mean cutting out simple 2D patterns or parts. You can cut it with ease with a fluted carbide bit with a one inch cutting edge...I use the double flute... for doing pattern work. For 3D, ball mills in various sizes and lettering bits, depending on the finish you want, will obviously be the call. The short answer is that HDU will accept nearly any bit and cut pretty well. Plywood....is another story entirely. Do you mean Birch, MDO, standard pine, ... it's like asking what bit to cut "plastic" with and depends on what you are making. There are a ton of wood guys on here who make furniture and toys and boats that can get very specific for you with a little more info....Hope this helps....D