PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Plexiglass

handh
05-23-2007, 07:38 AM
Ok, I need to cut a piece of plexiglass, I am going to be cutting 1/10 of a inch thick material. I am using a onsrud single flute upcut bit, I need some advice on what speed for spindle and also move speed. This is my first time with plexiglass so any advice is helpful.

richards
05-23-2007, 12:22 PM
Jeff,

Onsrud has an excellent web site with recommendations for all kinds of plastics. You'll find the site at www.plasticrouting.com (http://www.plasticrouting.com). You'll probably want to start at about 18,000 RPM with a feed speed of about 1-1/2 ips to 2-1/2 ips.

paco
05-23-2007, 01:43 PM
I'm assuming you'll be using either a 1/8" CED or maybe a 1/4" CED.

The smaller the CED the faster you want to spin (RPM) but not anything above 18 000 RPM in Acrylics. For 1/8" CED I set 14 000 with a 1 O-flute tool and 12 000-13 000 RPM with a 1/4" CED depending on the shapes.

If you have a very good hold down and mostly straight cut (say rectangles), you can fee it up to 4-5"/sec. with a 1/4" CED and up to 3"/sec. with a 1/8" CED.

If you're doing odd shape (say letters), I suggest you go slower (down to 50% of the above). I'm basing that on a 1:1 Alpha... I can tell with the new geared motor; it's supposed to be better though you could feed faster even in curvy parts.

handh
05-23-2007, 11:10 PM
Thanks guys, I did the cut this morning. I used the 1 0 flute tool. I ran the spindle at 13000 rpm and used a 1/4" cutter and 2" a second. Everything turned out great, cut was smooth and the cutomer was very happy. The panels that I cut out was for panels to go on a screen door on a RV so that they could keep the air conditioner on and still see outside. It fit perfect.

geneb
06-22-2007, 10:20 AM
What exactly is a "1 O-flute" tool?

Is it this?
http://www.plasticrouting.com/Products.asp?Action=View&ID=1493&Page=Material

tnx!

g.

paco
06-22-2007, 10:29 AM
Yes, that's on model from one brand. O-flute refer to the flute shape... know what the flute(s) is? Regular spiral bit have more like "V" shaped flute(s). O-flute are really round (O)... and preferably polished.

geneb
06-22-2007, 10:49 AM
So it's basically a single flute tool with a twist, as opposed to a single flute, straight tool?

tnx.

g.

geneb
06-22-2007, 11:19 AM
Another thing I just thought of - is this tool type good for pocketing operations?

tnx.

g.

paco
06-22-2007, 11:26 AM
Not exactly; it's a single O flute spiral too bit. Flute shape is different than edge shape. There are V flute tool AND O-flute tool with straight edge AND spiral edge. If you have both in your hand you'll notice the flute shape. O-flute tend to be more larger AND round so they can expel the chips better. V- fluted are more rigid and thus can withstand heavier load (aggressive feed rate). Both flute shaped tool bit can be single fluted or two flutes. V-flute can accommodate up to 4 flutes on large diameter tools.

Does that make sense? What are you looking for exactly? You want the right tool for plastics?... or learn something new about tool bits?

paco
06-22-2007, 11:27 AM
Pocketing with an O-fluted? Depends on the material...

geneb
06-22-2007, 11:33 AM
Thanks Paco. I'm actually trying for both.

I've gotten comfortable with cutting plywood and MDF with my 'Bot, in fact it made my new cabinets for my shop a breeze.

I'm going to have to start working with acrylics and other plastics soon and I want to make sure I'm not going to have problems with melting, etc.
I figure if I start out with the right types of cutter, I'm already a step ahead.

The operations I need to do on the 'Bot will mostly be pocketing - I'll be cutting the profiles out on my laser as it will give me the smoothed edge I need without having to learn how to flame-polish the material.

Are any of the cutters that are included in the "starter" kit that ShopBot sells practical for pocketing plastics?

tnx!

g.

paco
06-22-2007, 12:19 PM
Pocketing in plastics; depending on the required finish, you may use any bit that can cut the material but I've read and heard good things about Onsrud 66-300 (60-350 for metric) series. I cannot say if they pocket better than the cutter ones but if the tool cannot move more than it's radius in tight details, the cutter bits will leave a nipple while this bottom surfacing bit should be machining flat from a straight plunge. I'm considering trying one but they are quite expensive and very short cut length.

geneb
06-25-2007, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the help Paco.

g.