PDA

View Full Version : Various Questions for potential shopbot owner...

keith
07-18-2005, 08:54 PM
Guys,

I'm considering buying a ShopBot but have some questions that I hope someone can help me out with. My plan is to machine out complex 3D art (included converted BMPs) into wood and acrylic. I have tried this using a friends limited table top machine but needed to do 3 tool changes. Here are some of my questions, and I apologize if some of them are a little simple... :-)

1. Is it safe to assume that if the shopbot software can read the file in and we can see it in preview....then the Shopbot can cut it? I'd be using either Surfcam or Mastercam and both I believe have posts for the Shopbot. Just need to make sure before I make the investment.

2. I read that when using coated bits you can't use the z sensor. Is this true? If so, how does one accurately zero multiple tools for one part. Would the 'paper-under-the-bit' technique be accurate enough for 3 tool changes?

3. I'd like to program multiple parts and cut them all out at once (i.e. all with my roughing cutter, then change tools and cut all parts with a finishing bit, and then if needed a smaller finishing bit). If this can't be done manually, is there a way to copy and paste portions of the code to do this?

4. Do you regularly leave your shopbot unattended overnight, or at least for multiple hours at a time? Since the Shopbot would be in my garage or basement...it's something I have to consider.

5. And for a simple question....when your job is done will your Router shut off or continually spin? I'm assuming it would shut off but I have to ask...

6. Finally, is there anyone in the central NJ area (NJTPK Exit 9-10 vicinity) or an hour or two away that would be willing to let me see their shopbot in action? I'd like to see the machine, what's involved in setting it up, etc. I'd also like to bring some of the parts that I have cut on my friends machine to get your opinion on whether this is doable on the shopbot. I'll buy the pizza...and beer if it's after hours!!!!

For now...that's all. Thanks for your help!

-Keith

paco
07-18-2005, 09:37 PM
Hi Keith!

1)
Yes... still, be cautious...

2)
Yes... why would they lie?! The paper technic is good... as you can be... there is a probe/sensor (http://www.cadcamcadcam.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=10) available that can/should the job... have'nt tried it...

3)
I'm not sure I understand this one... but... yes... need more info to answer...

4)
Depends on A LOT of things... for 3D and long lasting files mostly... be cautious and prepared for the worst...

5)
Depends on the chosen model and accesories... the latest ALPHA has all that you need for this purpose...

6)
Someone will sure chime in soon about this one!

Good luck!

beacon14
07-18-2005, 10:00 PM
3) Keith's talking about mounting multiple parts in an array on the table, machining all with bit#1, then changing bits, to minimize bit changes. Yes, the software handles this easily. It's even been written about in some detail in the last few days on this forum.

elcruisr
07-19-2005, 07:14 AM
Keith,
leaving it to run unattended is asking for trouble. Yes, there are those who do it but it can crash because of a programming glitch, stall because of a computer error or several other things. If unattended these, while very rare, can result in that router happily spinning away in one spot and causing a fire. Bad idea in your basement or garage.

Eric

billp
07-19-2005, 08:09 AM
Keith,
I'm in Toms River,NJ., and I do 3D work regularly on my Bot(s). I am going to be in town until this Saturday, then I'm off to Las Vegas for the AWFS woodworking show. Shop number is; 732-286-2700....Bill Palumbo

mikejohn
07-19-2005, 10:08 AM
I wonder, taking Erics fire danger, if it would be possible to program an Alpha to recognise the surface of the material, recognise when the bit is below 0 (-z) then when there has been no x or y movement after a certain time (15 - 30 secs) switch everything off?
.............Mike

gerald_d
07-19-2005, 11:41 AM
A smoke/fire detector could also be wired into the SB's input ports.

stickman
07-19-2005, 12:07 PM
Not to knock the idea Gerald, by the time that the fire or smoke detector went off. The damage would be done. And stopping the shopbot would not put the fire out, unless it triggered a fire suppression system or notified the fire department. (all in good fun, Gerald) However it would notify the owner of the problem, if access to the area could be made before major damage, remember fire can move fast.

normand
07-19-2005, 12:24 PM
There are spark detector and extinguisher you can hook up to your dust collection system

http://www.grecon-us.com/

mikejohn
07-19-2005, 12:31 PM
Apart from the fire risk, what are the other dangers leaving the ShopBot unattended?
I havent move more than 3 metres from the stop button or computer since Ive had mine!
.........Mike

gerald_d
07-19-2005, 12:40 PM
The point is, various detectors/sensors can be wired into the SB's circuit to shut it down. I am not venturing an opinion whether such sensors will do the job of detecting what you thought they should. (Example (http://www.spectrex-inc.com/general/aboutus.htm) of a serious fire detection/suppression system supplier - their products should give you peace of mind....)

The last time we pushed the E-stop button was a month ago - theoretically we could have left it unattended for a month?

keith
07-19-2005, 03:16 PM
I appreciate all your comments on these questions. About the fire hazards it would appear that most don't leave it unattended for too long...which to me seems like a good idea. In regards to question #2 are there folks out there that do multiple tool changes with their Shopbots manually (no sensor)??? And if so, I trust you are accurate enough to not see any errors?

gerald_d
07-19-2005, 03:21 PM
I think that non-conductive coated bits are the exception rather than the rule. Most bits work fine with the z-zero plate.

keith
08-15-2005, 11:15 PM
Hi Bill,

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you. I'd like to take you up on your offer to visit your shop. I'll call you in the near future to set something up. Thanks!