PDA

View Full Version : Learn About Conformal Cooling For Injection Molding Applications.

gpiprototype
11-25-2009, 12:21 PM
Learn About Conformal Cooling For Injection Molding Applications. Copy this link. Let's talk about it. Is this something you think is viable? The future trend? Or just a waste ?

http://directmetallasersintering.blogspot.com/2009/11/conformal-cooling.html

Conformal cooling is defined as the ability to create cooling/heating configurations within a tool that essentially follows the contour of the tool surface or deviates from that contour as thin/thick sections of the part may dictate for optimal thermal management. The objective typically is to cool or heat the part uniformly. Conformal cooling provides a tremendous advantage in mold tooling through significant reductions in cycle times. Other than the obvious piece-cost savings, other tangible benefits include tool, equipment and floor space savings.

bcammack
11-25-2009, 03:46 PM
Let me be the first to say, "Huh?"

Gary Campbell
11-25-2009, 05:17 PM
Methinks yet another internet marketer has found us.

myxpykalix
11-25-2009, 08:11 PM
Come on, even i can define this. Solid Freeform Fabrication processes such as DMLS have demonstrated the potential to produce tools with complex internal geometry. This work explores the application of this capability to improve thermal management for injection molding tooling through: (i)cooling lines which are conformal to the mold surface which provide improved uniformity and stability of mold temperature and (ii)tools with low thermal inertia which, in combination with conformal fluid channels allow for rapid heating and cooling of tooling, thereby facilitating isothermal filling of the mold cavity. This work presents a systematic, modular, approach to the design of conformal cooling channels. Recognizing that the cooling is local to the surface of the tool, the tool is divided up into geometric regions and a channel system is designed for each region. Each channel system is itself modeled as composed of cooling elements, typically the region spanned by two channels. Six criteria are applied including; a transient heat transfer condition which dictates a maximum distance from mold surface to cooling channel, considerations of pressure and temperature drop along the flow channel and considerations of strength of the mold. These criteria are treated as constraints and successful designs are sought which define windows bounded by these constraints. The methodology is demonstrated in application to a complex core and cavity for injection molding. In the area of rapid thermal cycling, this work utilizes the design methods for conformal channels for the heating phases and adds analysis of the packing and cooling phases. A design is created which provides thermal isolation and accommodation of cyclic thermal stresses though an array of bendable support columns which support the molding portion of the tool where the heating/cooling channels are contained. Designed elasticity of the tool is used to aid in packing of the polymer during the cooling phase.
DUUUUH.........

Gary Campbell
11-25-2009, 08:21 PM
Jack...
Nice cut and paste, but still irrelevent on a ShopBot Forum!

Gary

mark_stief
11-25-2009, 09:20 PM
Jack you are gooood!!!! Happy Turkey Day everybody

myxpykalix
11-25-2009, 10:38 PM
Gary, I thought you might read that and say.....
darn that guy is smart!!!
I have absolutely no clue what most of that means. I think i got the gist of it but like you, don't see the relevence to a shopbot.
GOBBLE, GOBBLE, GOBBLE!!

mikeacg
11-25-2009, 10:48 PM
You had me worried for a second, Jack, that you had hit your head!

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

Mike

harryball
11-26-2009, 10:25 AM
Jack, you forgot to mention the Oscillation Overthruster.

Happy Turky Day everyone!

/RB

myxpykalix
11-26-2009, 11:07 AM
harry, frankly i thought "Oscillation Overthrust"
was way over most these guys heads, but since you brought it up....

Oscillation Overthrust occurs when the remedial pattern of waves, beit sound or electrical waves are subject to deviation caused by an interference or introduction of an outside source that has a tendency to interrpt the even flow of said waves.
An example of this is when you see electrical waves represented on a scope and an external force is introduced like a magnetic field that tends to distort or increase or decrease the thrust of said waves.
An Oscillation Overthruster is introduced when there is a situation that warrants the need to speed up said waves to achieve an increase in positive or negitive polarity resulting in a exponential increase in power needed to power my Flux Capacitor up to 1.21 jigawatts so i can go Back to the Future!!!!!!

mikeacg
11-26-2009, 11:38 AM
We will miss you Jack but we understand your need to be in your proper place in time!
Happy Thanksgiving everybody!
Mike

navigator7
11-26-2009, 11:47 AM
Gary wrote: "Methinks yet another internet marketer has found us."

Oh...I get it! ;-)

I swear...the day will come we will chose our voice operated "Replicator" to match the kitchen.
Our wives will say which style they like and us guys will look at the wattage required and the cost of refills.
Some will work with Window apps only and the really expensive ones will work off a mac only.

All will work off an iPhone which is now surgically implanted.

Load the replicator up with ceramics, plastics, metallic powders and paper and create a household do-dads as the need arises.

We will get ads describing how I made a million with my replicator.

People will use them for creating guns and ammo and the government will get involved destroying yet another industry.........

gene
11-26-2009, 10:01 PM
Jack
While you are in the future how bout send me the powerball # for next fri.

myxpykalix
11-27-2009, 12:55 AM
gene i've been there and back and i'm sorry to say it won't do you any good to know because you won't be here past tuesday...RIP buddy...

(I would feel horrible if it came true!!)

rcnewcomb
11-27-2009, 10:41 AM
Gene,
What you need are these handy interocitor plans.

jerry_stanek
11-27-2009, 11:18 AM
Randall Where does the flux capacitor hook up to that

rcnewcomb
11-27-2009, 11:22 AM
Its the white triangle in the center console.

harold_weber
11-27-2009, 11:24 AM
I'm still trying to understand the Turbo Encabulator..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyRllRWfLJE

gene
11-27-2009, 06:08 PM
Harold .
Its simple , it encabulates the turbo and makes it work at a more efficient speed.
Jack i hope you dont know something i dont. You think you would feel bad!!!!!!
Randal , I had the plans and i hooked 2 wires up backward and still have not caught back up with all the work i had already done.