PDA

View Full Version : Burning UP Bits

stickman
10-06-2005, 12:33 PM
Guys,

I was cutting some 3/4" MDF. I was using a 1/2" spiral bit, at 2 ips feed rate, the PC router at 16,000, cutting it two passes. I was cutting small parts out, 12" x 18". This is my first time using a 1/2" bit. I could not complete the first sheet, the bit started to smoke.. and the Y-axis would shudder terrible. Does my little PC not have enough power to spin that bit, is that what is causing the premature dulling of the bit.

I went to a sample bit that I got from Onsrud, a 1/4" Super-O Flute. That left a beautiful edge. I had read that someone had been using one, but couldn't find it. Does anyone know what these run each?

Any suggestions? I normally cut a large amount of MDF, but I use 1/4" spiral bits and many times I use down-spirals to keep the MDF dust packed into the cut, to hold the part. I have wrong a long time with a 1/4" bit.

paco
10-06-2005, 12:54 PM
I have not yet burned a solid carbide tool... but I've burned some high speed steel ones quite fast...

stickman
10-06-2005, 01:05 PM
Paco,

I am wondering if the MDF that I have purchased has more resin. Its a darker color than my other, this could also be a different type of wood used in the manufacturing of the materials. The bits are black and discolored.

Jay

paco
10-06-2005, 01:24 PM
Can you tell if it's SC or HSS? As wrote I've never burned a SC so I can't tell what it looks like... but I do know that it will resist heat MUCH more...

stickman
10-06-2005, 02:29 PM
Paco,

It was a solid carbide, up-cut.

Jay